Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)'s Reviews > And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

bookshelves: family-dynamics, fiction, death-and-dying, arc, great-for-book-club
Read 2 times. Last read November 2, 2016 to November 3, 2016.

You can read all of my review at Lit.Wit.Wine.Dine

How could I could not say no when the publisher asked if I'd like to review this book?? Though I don't read many novellas, I am an absolute evangelist for anything written by Fredrik Backman. I would read his grocery lists. (5 stars, I'm sure!)

I met the Fredrik Backman at BEA this year and was a little surprised to find that he's absolutely nothing like his aging, curmudgeonly characters. In fact, he's quite young and charming. I tried my best to convince him that the wurse in My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry was based on a Newfoundland. And not just any Newfoundland, but my Newfoundland. He made the legitimate argument that the wurse could not be a Newfoundland because it was, in fact, a wurse. Which, by definition, cannot be a dog. He did graciously concede that there are several undeniable shared characteristics and so I let the matter rest. But I digress...

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer is a beautiful story of the very special relationship between Noah and Grandpa. Grandpa has dementia and is struggling to simultaneously hold onto his memories and prepare Noah for what is to come.

"Noahnoah, promise me something, one very last thing: once your good-bye is perfect, you have to leave me and not look back. Live your life. It's an awful thing to miss someone who's still here."

Grandpa is worried about Noah and how he will move on. He has some regrets about the amount of time he spend with Noah's father when he was growing up. He misses his his dead wife terribly and consults her for advice. Through these conversations, we get a glimpse of his former self and the deep love between them. It is both very sad and very beautiful.

As someone had cared for many, many patients with memory impairment, I feel the author did amazing job of portraying the senses of fear, loss, and regret experienced by Grandpa. The period of time when a person comes to the understanding that they are losing their memories, but can do nothing about it, is often the most difficult. The loss of control and independence is overwhelmingly frustrating and saddening.

Fredrik Backman has once again proven that he is THE master of creation when it comes to well-developed, unique, and lovable characters in literary fiction.

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer is a perfect December book club choice. With only 96 pages, it's a one-sitting read sure to please even those with the most hectic of schedules.

Many thanks to Atria Books for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
October 31, 2016 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Audio CD Edition)
November 2, 2016 – Started Reading
November 3, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 18, 2016 – Shelved
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: family-dynamics
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: death-and-dying
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: great-for-book-club
October 24, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: death-and-dying (Kindle Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: family-dynamics (Kindle Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: fiction (Kindle Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: great-for-book-club (Kindle Edition)
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley (Kindle Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review and your blog is great too <3

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Oh! I'm a big fan of Backman's as well. I'll check this one out!