Saly's Reviews > One Summer

One Summer by Karen Robards

3192922

bookshelves: older-woman

Johnny was the town's ultimate bad-boy, he came from what people liked to call trash, had a mother who ran off, and a father who liked to drink and beat the crap out of him and his siblings. He did wild things and the girls loved him. When he was eighteen he was convicted for murder, on the basis of his reputation and because the girl was last seen with him. Everyone considered him guilty except Rachel, who was his English teacher. Rachel was only five years older than him and saw huge potential in him since he like her loved to read.

So, when ten years later Johnny writes to her from prison to give him a job so he can get out on parole, she agrees and gives him a job in her family's hardware store, but the Johnny she sees now is not the one she knew. This Johnny is rude and looks at her as if she is naked. She also has to withstand her mother and the town's people remarks but she still defends him even if Johnny seems hell-bent on picking fights.

The beginning of the book isn't that great. Rachel had dreams of leaving town, but instead first her sister married the man she thought she loved and by the time she recovered her father fell ill, but Rachel is no door-mat, she stands up to her mother and tells her she is an adult and even tells off Johnny. Rachel is dating a guy she thinks will be a good husband but Johnny tells her to sleep with him and confesses that he has the hots for her.

But Rachel knows there is too much difference between them, first he's an ex-con and she is wealthy and as teacher has a certain reputation to maintain and he's also her ex-student but still she is there for him, then there is also the woman he is seeing or casually sleeping with. She goes searching for him when his father dies and instead ends up listening to how horrible prison was for him and the ends up having sex with him. She is horrified later about what happened and when Johnny asks her to go out with him she says she needs time and he gets all angry.

He ends up back with that woman and Rachel just kind of misses him. What I didn't like was this and how suddenly Rachel just got over the differences, she is horrified because she has fallen for him and doesn't know what to do, then later on she just tells him she loves him and is ready to leave with him.

But I enjoyed the book, it reminded me of those old Linda Howard, I loved.

Rating 3.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Summer.

July 3, 2011 – Shelved
July 4, 2011 – Started Reading
July 4, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: older-woman

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by MBR (new) - rated it 5 stars

MBR I love this story. ^_^

Saly Well I have just started now and Johnny is being all difficult. Hope I love it as much as you.

Lacy Your reviews always jog my memory for books I read so long ago that I don't always remember the details. This was a good one!

Saly Thanks Lacy for the compliment, thanks to GR I am trying out books I would normally never read. :)