LeAnne's Reviews > Undercurrent

Undercurrent by Michelle Griep

bookshelves: 10th-c, norway, england, historical-fiction, christian-fiction, christian-romance

** spoiler alert ** What do you get when a beautiful twenty-first-century professor of Language and Literature falls literally into the North Sea and the tenth century? You get a feisty modern voice in a vivid and action-packed setting. That's exactly what Michelle Griep has given us in Undercurrent. Cassie Larson (or Cass-ee Lars' dottir, as her Norse companions call her) has trouble adapting to the lack of comforts of home. It is not until they arrive in medieval Jorvik, complete with 10th century hygiene and sanitation, that she realizes this is not a back entrance to the York Cultural Experience where she has taken her students in the past and these are not just nature-loving hippies she has fallen in with. Good thing she is a linguist or she would never have figured out the language.

A convention of romance that irritates me is to tell the story from two POVs--his and hers--which gives away the ending by the second scene. Griep gets around this by using two male POVs. Alarik pulls Cassie from the sea after fleeing his home, accused of killing his brother (which he doesn't THINK he did.) Ragnar has suffered greatly for the Christian faith he committed to, including being scared for life by his pagan father and acused of being weak when he avoids brutality. Both Alarik and Ragnar are men we admire, but we don't know which one will end up with Cassie.

Griep leaves a lot of questions unanswered for lovers of time travel like me. Who was the guy in the gift shop? What is the significance of the broach? Did "Ahab" on the boat have anything to do with what happened? Has Cassie disappeared from the 21st c forever? Was this time travel instigated by God or by pagan spirits? Alarik implied the broach was dangerous. In what way? It had a wolf's head, which would seem to tie it to the evil Torolf, but nothing was made of that. Not answering these questions did not spoil the book for me, but it did leave me feeling unsettled. I'm not sure if the author deliberately left these questions for another book or what. As far as I know, there is no sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undercurrent.

Started Reading