Sandra's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

“Sometimes the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself.”

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

s-2ee174838d90fe19e78e51a6030775984337576a

hp2

It took me forever to finish this (well, shorter than when I read The Final Empire), not because I didn’t like it, or because I was having a hard time delving into it. It's all me. This is a real case of "it-was-me-not-you" scenario.

I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS BOOK!

I'm going to echo what my good friend Petrik said about this book in his review, The Way of Kings is a masterpiece. There is no other word to best describe this. Actually. Wait. To be honest, I don't think masterpiece is even the right word to describe this book. The Way of Kings is indescribable. This book definitely leveled up my standards for fantasy books.

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT?

Now where do I even start?

The Way of Kings is one of those books that you'd have to read, in order for you to fully appreciate. I can tell you in full detail the stuff that I enjoyed about it, but then, by just telling you how wonderful it is, won't be enough. I don't think I can give this book justice by doing that. I suggest that you go and pick this book up. Spend time in reading it, because this is a monster of a book. It would take a few days for some, weeks for most, and a couple of months, if you are someone like me who have attention deficiency problems.

The Way of Kings is a book about people. You might be wondering why I said that. Well, I said it because it is a book about people. It is a book about people, their beliefs, and their society. This book might be set in a fictional world, the events that transpired in this book might not be real, but for me, they meant more than what the words on the page says it is. I might be reading more to it that what's really there. I tend to do to that. But really, there is something more to this book than just fictional situations that these characters go through. Some of the things that happened in this book mirrors what is actually happening in our world today.

Damn. I was supposed to give you a short summary or synopsis about this book, but here I am, babbling about how I think this book is more than just a fictional fantasy book. I guess it's because I have no idea how to write a synopsis about this, so I just told you what I think this book is really about.

THE GOOD

There is a lot, so better get ready!

THIS WORLD IS JUST AMAZING! SANDERSON IS THE MASTER OF WORLD-BUILDING! The way he created each and every place in this universe, still blows my mind. If you've read any of Sanderson's other works, you'll probably already know how they all tie up into this one huge universe called the Cosmere. Imagine, how much work he had to do, to make sure that these worlds have similarities, but at the same time, distinct differences. I'm not really good with words, so I suggest you go and read this to find out for yourself.

THE PLOOOOTTTT! OH THE PLOT IS OH SO GOOD! At first, you'll think that the plot is somewhat similar to other books you've read before. Do not be fooled. This book is so much more than the literary archetypes it used. Sanderson knows how to use something familiar and spin it into something you've never read before.

THE STORY IS EASY TO FOLLOW. Fantasy books tend to be a bit confusing. Let's all be real here. Sometimes, there's just too many things happening sometimes, at the same time, in different time period, with so many characters to follow, that you just end up not understanding anything, at all. But The Way of Kings, wasn't like that. You were following quite a few characters, yes. However, the way he interwoven the story of each of these characters was made in a way that you'll be able to follow it easily. He understands and knows what he wants from his characters and their story. Let me quote Einstein here, "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Sanderson understand and knows what his plan for this book series, which I think is why it was so easy for him to share this story with us.

YOU'LL FALL IN LOVE WITH THE CHARACTERS! ALL OF THEM. While an enticing plot is something I relish immensely, I do appreciate the addition of remarkable and memorable characters, too. The Way of Kings, definitely, has the best set of characters I've ever read about. I'm not even exaggerating. Not only do they have their own characteristics and mannerisms, you also get a feel of who they were before the story even began. This is more true to some of them than others, but that's only because each character would be focused more individually per book that would be released in this series. The Way of Kings, the story was more focused on Kaladin (one of the best characters I've ever read! Hands-fucking-down!), while in the sequels, someone else would be the main focus.

SURPRISES IN EVERY TURN. Sanderson have used a lot of literary archetypes in this book, but the good thing about it is, even if he used them, he made sure that you still get surprised. We all know the heroes journey. WE all know that, in the end, the hero would save the day. But the journey for him to get there, is long and bumpy, with some interesting and unexpected twists and turns.

THE HISTORY OF THIS WORLD FEELS LIKE REAL HISTORY. One of the characters you'll meet, Shallan, would be apprenticing for a scholar named Jasnah. During these times, they would be talking about history and whatnot. And as they're talking about it, I'm left completely mesmerized and in awe that one man made this history. Sanderson made it.

OH THE WRITING! Brandon Sanderson, really knows how to write. His words paints pictures in my brain. Damn. His words are like magic.

THE KINGS' WIT! I knew he was special. LOL.

THE BAD

I'm, basically, just nitpicking here, just so you guys know. I loved this book, so much. I don't think there is, really, anything major about this, that I did not like.

THE PACING COULD BE A BIT SLOW SOMETIMES. This book had tons of action, but it does have it slower moments, too. If you're like me, who could get a bit impatient when nothing big is happening, then you might a problem with this. But I didn't. I felt that all those slower paced moments were necessary to develop the characters and their story.

THIS IS A HUMONGOUS BOOK! I consider this book as one of my greatest reading successes. Why? Because this book is over a thousand pages long, and I was able to finish it! Gaaaah! I didn't think I could. But I did. And I'm happy.

COULD BE A BIT OVERWHELMING FOR SOMEONE WHO ISN'T USED TO READING FANTASY. I'm saying could, because it really depends on the reader. A fantasy newbie could be perfectly fine with reading this, and not get overwhelmed with the multitude of characters and key events. On the other hand, another might get confused and end up hating it before they get to the best part.

THE UGLY

None! Absolutely nothing ugly about this book.

FINAL THOUGHTS

It's been a couple of months since I finished this, and I'm still thinking about it. I don't really know how I can move on. I want to read the next one, Words of Radiance, but I'm scared of not being able to do anything, or read anything else, if I start it.

The Way of Kings is an engrossing book about a world that's falling apart, where heroes are nowhere to be seen, and  kingdoms are fighting for power and revenge.

I loved this! A must read for all fantasy lovers! I can't wait to read the next book and all the books Mr. Sanderson writes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

November 17, 2016 – Shelved
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 6, 2016 – Started Reading
December 6, 2016 –
6.0% "THOUGHTS SO FAR:\n\n1. I want my own windspren.\n\n2. Shallan reminds me of Newt Scamander for some reason. Haha. The female version with her illustrations of creatures and her notes."
December 7, 2016 –
14.0% "Image and video hosting by TinyPic\n\nJust 14% in and I am just blown away by all this awesomeness. Holy shit."
December 21, 2016 –
35.0% "I'm way behind my buddy read (sobs quietly). \n\nTHINGS I KNOW SO FAR:\n\n- ELOKHAR IS AN IDIOT.I really hate him right now.\n\n- ADOLIN IS AN EVEN BIGGER IDIOT <spoiler>the fuck is wrong with you not trusting your father???</spoiler>\n\n- I LOVE READING ABOUT KAL AND DALINAR.\n\n- I don't particularly like Shallan's POV, yet, but I am intrigued with what Jasnah would be bringing to the table."
January 3, 2017 –
50.0% "Image and video hosting by TinyPic\n\nGaz is up to no good. I can fucking feel it."
February 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

☽Luna☾ It took me a month to read book one because it was my first Sanderson book and I was so confused but book two took me like four days... That's how fucking intense and good it is ! Your gonna love it

Anthony K You will not regret your decision.

Sandra ☽Luna☾ wrote: "It took me a month to read book one because it was my first Sanderson book and I was so confused but book two took me like four days... That's how fucking intense and good it is ! Your gonna love it"

I think I'm going to lose my mind with all these Sanderson books. I have a buddy read for this book on the 5th, then Well of Ascension on the 16th. Haha. Wish me luck! I'm becoming like Ryan and juggling all those books.

Sandra Anthony wrote: "You will not regret your decision."

I already know I won't. :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ -whines cause she wants to read this but needs more installments to be published first-

☽Luna☾ Mary your gonna reread with me before three is released right ?

☽Luna☾ Haha you'll be fine ari you'll probably get so hooked you'll finish it in ten days anyway ! I have a friend and this book took them four months to finish haha

message 8: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan It'll be 1000 pages that you wish will never end. I'm envious of anyone reading this for the first time. :)

Petrik Let's do this Ari!! :D

Alexa This book is SO good. I still find myself thinking about it time to time.

Sandra You guys are really making me super duper excited about this! Is the second one really long too?

@Luna: I wish. Haha. I remember reading Game of Thrones and taking me forever to finish, even if I was loving it to bits.

message 12: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "You guys are really making me super duper excited about this! Is the second one really long too?"

The second one is slightly longer, but again at the end you'll think it's not long enough. ;)

Sandra TS wrote: "BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "You guys are really making me super duper excited about this! Is the second one really long too?"

The second one is slightly longer, but again at the end you'll think it'..."

damnnn!! how have Sanderson been doing these books???? jezuz.

Steven Well he's been working on book three since fall of last year! And if it was anyone less prolific of a writer than he is, it would be a few more years in between lol. Thank goodness he writes fast and multiple series or we'd be waiting like George R R Martin fans lol

Sandra Steven wrote: "Well he's been working on book three since fall of last year! And if it was anyone less prolific of a writer than he is, it would be a few more years in between lol. Thank goodness he writes fast a..."

Sanderson is a monster. These books are huge and they're so full of good stuff. I wonder how he fucking does it. Damn. Haha. Winds of Winter is taking forever! I thought it was going to be released Aprl of this year. GRRM hurry up dude!

Celeste Hooray! GIRL, I'M SO EXCITED.

message 17: by Pranta (new) - added it

Pranta Ghosh Dastider Yey! Happy reading.

Sandra Thanks guys! :)

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica It goes by so quickly, 1000 pages is nothing because he is such an amazing author. Believe me you'll be wishing there was another 1000 pages after it! I'm reading the second book now and it is even better than the first and I'm super depressed that I'm almost half way because then I'll have to wait for the release of the third. :(

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I hope you all love this!! <3

Jesper It's gonna be one of the best bricks you'll ever read

Sandra Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "I hope you all love this!! <3"

I'm already liking the writing so far. :p But I'm only at around 1% so that isn't saying much yet. Haha.

Sandra Jesper wrote: "It's gonna be one of the best bricks you'll ever read"

Not really doubting that! :)

Frankie Lovely lol I like your assessment so far :P I'll take a windspren too :)

message 25: by Tal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tal Reading it right now :P

Sandra Tal wrote: "Reading it right now :P"

How far along are you? :)

message 27: by Koen (new)

Koen Oehhh, good to know!!! I have this lying here... So will be next on my list ;)

message 28: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Secton Ok, now the truth. I got this book fisically in my bookshelf. So tell me... How much Sanderson is this book?

Sandra @Koen and Emma: You guys have to read this book. And to answer your question, Emma, this is the most Sanderson book there is of Sanderson. If that makes sense. :D

message 30: by Emma (last edited Feb 14, 2017 05:58AM) (new) - added it

Emma Secton Girl... you have just increased my hype. I have to finish with Mistborn first, but now I know how much I really need to read this. Thank you Aria! You rule!

message 31: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "@Koen and Emma: You guys have to read this book. And to answer your question, Emma, this is the most Sanderson book there is of Sanderson. If that makes sense. :D"

Just wait until you get to Words of Radiance.

:-D :-D :-D

message 32: by Janae (new) - added it

Janae I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH I JUST FINISHED AND I WANT TO READ IT AGAIN

message 33: by Eon ♒Windrunner♒ (last edited Apr 10, 2017 10:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Awesome review!

Haha - the second book was according to the publishers the longest that a hardcover book could be and still be one volume! That said, it felt too short and is even better than Way of Kings. It will BLOW. YOUR. MIND.

As TS said - we envy first time readers :D Enjoy it!

Sandra Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Awesome review!

Damnnnn... Oh myyy gooodness!!! The second book is longer??? Haha. And I thought this one was long. I need to get my hands on a physical copy though. I had a hard time reading the eBook version of the book, but enjoyed the story immensely.

Also, thank you! :)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Awesome review!

Physical copy is definitely the best option as it is really nice to be able to see all the illustrations clearly, but it also gives your wrists a major workout! ;)

Sandra Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Awesome review!

Oh yeah definitely! I have seen one before, and it looked massive. Like an encyclopedia. Haha. I can definitely use it if I want to get, not just a wrist, but a full body workout. Haha.

message 37: by ChopinFC (new) - added it

ChopinFC Great review! Likely my top 5 faves fantasy book of all times! Second one is even better :)

message 38: by Tal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tal BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "Tal wrote: "Reading it right now :P"

How far along are you? :)"

Finished. And, wow

message 39: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Love your passionate review! :)

Sandra ChopinFC wrote: "Great review! Likely my top 5 faves fantasy book of all times! Second one is even better :)"

Awww... thank you. :) i'm waiting to get a physical copy before I read rhe next one. My eyes watered so much as I read this on my phone.

Sandra Tal wrote: "BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "Tal wrote: "Reading it right now :P"

How far along are you? :)"

Finished. And, wow"

I KNOOOOOWWW RIGHT. 😍

Sandra TS wrote: "Love your passionate review! :)"

Thanks TS. :)

Roxane Great review! I agree with everything you said. And, like everyone keeps saying, wait until you get to the second one! Yes yes, it can be even more awesome. Words of Radiance blew my mind.

Sandra Roxane wrote: "Great review! I agree with everything you said. And, like everyone keeps saying, wait until you get to the second one! Yes yes, it can be even more awesome. Words of Radiance blew my mind."

Thank you Roxane! Yessss... i have heard a lot of AMAZING buzz about WOR so I cant wait to start it. I just need to get myself a physical book. :p