JM's Reviews > Crocodile on the Sandbank

Mar 19, 2008

bookshelves: crime-fiction, setting-egypt, adult-fiction
Recommended to JM by: Danielle
Read in February, 2007

Capable, managing spinster Amelia takes her inheritance and sets off for Egypt, where she finds thrilling adventure and a romance she didn't expect.

A friend gave this to me with the rec: "It's like Georgette Heyer, only with mummies!" And oh, it so is. Plus, completely gratuitous scene featuring rotting mummy carrying fainting heroine off at fast jog across the desert sands! By moonlight! So good. And unlike Heyer's masterful heroines, who all secretly want somebody who can manage them, at least Amelia only wants somebody she can't actually bully, only manipulate. And with pretty shoulders, at which she stares at one point for about half an hour, without any sign of boredom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crocodile on the Sandbank.

01/09 marked as: read

Celia Awww - I love these books. I find it very hard to be objective in reviewing them - I'm a fair way into the series now. I found this one so funny and sweet - I don't remember the shoulder staring!

message 2: by JM (new) - rated it 4 stars

JM I've noticed your reviews for these books. I will go back to the series and read some of the others - my housemate has rather a lot of them - some day when I'm in the mood for mummies and period mysteries. Because this really was marvellous fun.

The shoulder staring is priceless. They're doing a stake-out, and the only thing there is for her to do is stare at his shoulders. She doesn't get bored.

Annie Hey Jarrah - nothing in your review shows disappointment. Why the 3 stars?

message 4: by JM (new) - rated it 4 stars

JM Sorry! I only just noticed your comment, Annie.

I wasn't disappointed - it was exactly what I wanted from the genre. It was trashy, but good trashy. But it didn't break out into something marvellous and new, either, which is what I see in 4- and 5-star books :-)

Still, I would have given it 3 1/2 if that had been an option.