Philippe Lazaro's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

it was ok
bookshelves: human-rights

“Do you ever think when you look at someone, when to you listen to someone, does that person really have a life?" Abdul was asking the boy who was not listening. "Like that woman who just went to hang herself, or her husband, who probably beat her before she did this? I wonder what kind of life is that," Abdul went on. "I go through tensions just to see it. But it is a life. Even the person who lives like a dog still has a kind of life."

–Katharine Boo

I had some really high expectations for this book. Blends of multiculturalism and human rights and anthropology mixed in. I couldn't wait to dive in.

I wish I could say it lived up to expectations, but I had a relatively hard time tracking the direction its storylines took. I had a hard time latching on to any particular narrative. There were still some great snippets of beauty, like the quote above.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.

Started Reading