Sarah's Reviews > Rise of the Evening Star

Jul 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Read from July 02 to 07, 2011

3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this book slightly more than I did the first one. I like a little more action/adventure/intrigue to my fantasy novels and this one delivered in comparison. I did not like how neither of the main characters played much of a role in the climaxing moments of the second book. Kendra WAS acceptably involved in the first novel.

I'm a Potter fan, I admit it, so permit me my little rant. In the Harry Potter books the characters have great mentors but in the crucial deciding moments they come through on their own... no getting bailed out by the conveniently awoken albino and traitorous narcoblix. Kendra does not hold a candle to Hermione who has many similar qualities but is much more likable/knowledgeable and for all of her cautioning doesn't hesitate to jump into action. Seth is a little Tom Sawyer-esque but lacks the charisma of his classic predecessor. I did find myself liking Seth more towards the end of this installment. Sadly his dialogue continues to come off idiotically eager and dimwitted.

I do have to give the author credit for inventing a rich, picturesque and believable ummmm, can't think of the right word (world, environment, microcosm, domain, ecosystem???) so, Fablehaven.

Enough rambling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of the Evening Star.

04/16/2016 marked as: read

Blake Lester I agree that this book was much better then the first one and that it could have used more involvement from the main characters in the "climaxing moments" instead of the other characters who took up the role.