Amber's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Jul 02, 2011

bookshelves: endlessly-re-reading, read-in-2012
Read from September 17 to 26, 2011 , read count: 2

Mira, you've done it again. I am both satisfied and ready to strangle you while shrieking WTF?

I'm going to avoid spoilers for Deadline in my review (Feed is fair game, since you really shouldn't be reading this one until you grab it), so here goes: the wonderfully rich and firmly grounded in science world born in Feed (the first book in the Newsflesh trilogy) is alive and kicking, only with more players this time. Shaun Mason has taken the lead in narration, and he is a trainwreck bordering on psychotic break (and understandably so). Having bailed on being an Irwin and absently running After The End Times, Shaun converses with Georgia in his head and earns confused and concerned stares from the remaining staff. Shaun is passively suicidal, in that if he were to fall asleep and never awaken, he wouldn't care at all; he's a shell of who he used to be.

Enter Kelly from the CDC, who is supposedly dead by news accounts when she shows up alive and shaking on their doorstep, revealing a conspiracy far larger and more horrifying than the one he watched his sister and Buffy die for. One that also very much involves Georgia.

With a new mission, Shaun and the team set out to blow open a horrific and sadly realistic web of lies, half-truths and false pretenses, all of which potentially lethal to the team and the world at large. What they find is only half the story.

The new characters (by new, I mean "allowed a decent amount of time on the proverbial stage") are all as lovable as our original trio. Becks, Magdalene, Mahir and Alaric are all excellent foils to varying Shaun-isms, and it's clear why all of them were hired in the first place. The presence of Georgia via Shaun's grief-induced psychosis doesn't feel hokey; it actually feels right. I worried about the loss of Georgia for this book, and her intermittent presence helps soften the blow of her loss in Feed. The continuous "weird looks" Shaun notes was unnecessary towards the end, but it's forgivable.

The ending.... from the storm (I'll say no more) onward.... Jaw-dropping. Rollercoaster of emotions. The very final pages? OH MY GOD MIRA, WHY? WHY MUST I WAIT FOR BLACKOUT? And yes, it deserves all-caps angst. Read and find out why.

This trilogy is one of the literary loves of my life. It needs to be a film. Ellen Page needs to be Georgia. Ban all Disney teens from the cast. Someone, make it so.

Stop reading my damn review and hit the book already!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

Quotes Amber Liked

Mira Grant
“Why is it you assholes always feel the need to tell the media your evil plans before you kill us?” asked Becks. “Is it a union requirement or something?”

Mira Grant
“Then you know why I'm not in the mood for sunshine and puppies." I paused. "That expression makes no sense. Why the hell would I ever be in the mood for puppies?"
"Shaun—"
"I could go with sunshine, though. Sunshine is useful. It should really be 'sunshine and shotguns.' Something you'd actually be happy about."
"Shaun—”

Mira Grant
“I feel the closest to crazy when I'm disagreeing with the voice in my head”

Mira Grant
“I just find it interesting that kids apparently used to cry when Bambi's mother died. George and I both held our breaths, and then cheered when she didn't reanimate and try to eat her son.”

Mira Grant
“At least you know that you're crazy. That means you have the potential to recover.”

09/17/2011 page 104
09/25/2011 page 500
86.0% "Damn you Mira Grant.... why must you destroy me? Also, please make movies of these books and cast Ellen Page and Jesse Eisenberg as Georgia and Shaun, kthxbi."
show 3 hidden updates…