Philippe Lazaro's Reviews > Life from Scratch: A Memoir of Food, Family, and Forgiveness

Life from Scratch by Sasha Martin

bookshelves: food-writing

"Happiness is not a destination: Being happy takes constant weeding, a tending of emotions and circumstances as they arise. There’s no happily ever after, or any one person or place that can bring happiness. It takes work to be calm in the midst of turmoil. But releasing the need to control it—well, that’s a start."

–Sasha Martin

Book No. 16 of 2017

What a life.

I picked this up because Sasha's been one of my favorite food bloggers. She's posted namely about her quest to cook food from every country, with each post being sincerely written with a strong window into the different cultures that make dinner table cameos.

That project doesn't even get mentioned until 3/4ths of the way through.

Instead we learn about her childhood, a challenging upbringing, and her fuzzy experiences with having a family. Her quest for peace drives her all throughout. The way that her personal anecdotes were so compelling without really mentioning her claim to fame for a long while was a bit like Trevor Noah's book, though this wasn't that much like Trevor Noah's book.

It was an extremely vulnerable memoir, though, and even if there was less food than I expected, I appreciated her story so much that I liked reading this even more.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life from Scratch.

November 16, 2016 – Shelved