Melissa (YA Book Shelf)'s Reviews > Other Breakable Things

Other Breakable Things by Kelley York

I finished reading Other Breakable Things, late at night, as one does, and I really liked it. There are some very poignant moments about death, dying, and what it means to die with dignity, etc. so I found myself highlighting so much of the book that it's actually slightly ridiculous. Like there are over 190 parts highlighted. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

The growth in the characters was great, and I was definitely surprised about various things that happened. My favorite thing was seeing Evelyn's growth from someone who goes along with what's best for everyone else she knows into someone capable of expressing how she feels to other people and what she needs from them. While so many teen girls and young women are socialized to be nice and kind and sweet, I think seeing a character like Evelyn who can express the full range of human emotions, especially anger / rage when necessary, is so important.

Also, and this is just a personal thing, but my dad was born with a congenital heart defect...not the same as Luc...but still required open heart surgery. Probably if he was younger, he would've had the corrective surgery as a baby, but when he was born in 1956, it was deemed experimental and the doctors assumed he wouldn't live very long. He ended up having the surgery he needed at the age of 15, but it really impacted his quality of life throughout his childhood, so this book helped me...somewhat...get an understanding of what it would've been like for him to be living with a heart that didn't work properly for a long stretch of his life beyond what he's told me.

Finally, the whole paper crane thing is meaningful to me as well since my sister, my parents, my sister's friends, and I all folded 1000 cranes last year, so my sister and her now-husband could have a wish on their wedding day, so definitely a lot to love from my perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Breakable Things.

November 16, 2016 – Shelved
November 16, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2017 – Started Reading
March 20, 2017 –
56.0% "Gorgeous writing, and it's a road trip romance. Yay! I'm a sucker for the idea behind the origami cranes that Evelyn folds. For those who don't know, there's a Japanese legend that says if you fold 1000 paper cranes, you can ask for / get a wish. And if there's anyone who needs a wish it's Evelyn and Luc. Not sure if Luc's name is supposed to be said with the French accent, but that's how I've been calling him. :)"
March 21, 2017 –
62.0% "Love seeing the full range of emotions that Luc and Evelyn feel and all the reasons why they're feeling them. I think far too often girls are told that they can't be angry, but Evelyn is rightfully so. Also love seeing the back and forth POVs to see how one character's hope is also another character's fear."
March 22, 2017 – Finished Reading