sarafem's Reviews > Esio Trot

Esio Trot by Roald Dahl

Mar 19, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: 2008, juvenile-7-to-10, royally-sucked
Recommended for: animal abusers, compulsive liars, and other immoral people who would enjoy a quick read.

At first I thought "Awww...pretty cute story!" And then Reality-Sara bitchslapped mushy All-Books-Are-Super!-Sara because this story breaks all former immorality and suckosity records in the entire world history of written word.

Esio Trot tells our young children that we can all build beautiful relationships built upon deceit and lies and obsession. They also learn that men are clever and women are idiots, and that it's quite all right to neglect your interchangeable and therefore worthless pets.

It's thankfully a small book, so the torture is short-lived, and don't forget, if there are any children you particularly hate, this will be a great stocking stuffer come Christmas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Esio Trot.

Finished Reading
March 19, 2008 – Shelved
March 19, 2008 – Shelved as: 2008
March 19, 2008 – Shelved as: juvenile-7-to-10
March 19, 2008 – Shelved as: royally-sucked

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I love Roald Dahl, but I've never heard of this one before. I really appreciate your use of the word "suckiosity!"

message 2: by Adrianne (new)

Adrianne Mathiowetz Man, I'm familiar with the "All-Books-Are-Super!-Sara" part of my reading id, too. I have to force myself to wait a day before I officially review anything, or I'd be giving out five stars like they were free kittens.

sarafem Damn the id! (I have always referred to mine as Sid, as in Sara's id, but I suppose you have a different name for yours. Or perhaps other people don't talk to theirs, I dunno.) Sometimes I look back at my reviews and I'm like "Really? Three (or sometimes four) whole stars? I don't even remember that book anymore."

P.S. I like free kittens.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Roald Dahl's books are not realistic, but they are really funny and enjoyable to read. At least for most people.

message 5: by Kelv (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelv I like your review. Your second paragraph is on the money.

Jared Yeah, that's what I thought of the story, too.

message 7: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha How do you read the book?

message 8: by Gilbert (last edited Sep 06, 2017 04:02PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Gilbert Saller I like your "Recommended for" list even better than the review itself

Christine I teach fifth grade and allow my class to vote on what I read aloud to the class based on the summary in the back of the book.
I had never read it either, but based on the summary I chose it from my class library as a possible selection to read to the class.
After reading your review I had second thoughts... but I decided to read it any way and to make it a learning experience.
As Mr. Hoppy began his deceit we predicted what he planned and his motives. The class agreed that nothing good can come from dishonesty.