Chad Kohalyk's Reviews > The Essential Dogen: Writings of the Great Zen Master

The Essential Dogen by Kazuaki Tanahashi

liked it
bookshelves: buddhism, audio

Firstly, I listened to the audiobook and I have to say the narrator was top notch. It is great that they got someone who could pronounce both the Chinese and Japanese words properly. I really appreciate the attention to detail.

The first third of this book is great, but then it starts to get too abstract. And with no real commentary from the authors, it went over this novice's head completely. I could see how this book would be great in a study group, but as a lone person with no teacher, and only a simple understanding of Zen, I found it too challenging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Dogen.

November 16, 2016 – Started Reading
November 16, 2016 – Shelved
November 16, 2016 –
November 17, 2016 –
November 21, 2016 –
November 25, 2016 –
November 28, 2016 –
November 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Tejas Chandrashekhar Which audiobook was it? The one narrated by Brian Nishii? Is it complete and unabridged?

Chad Kohalyk Tejas wrote: "Which audiobook was it? The one narrated by Brian Nishii? Is it complete and unabridged?"

Yep, Brian Nishii unabridged. This is the link on Audible.

Tejas Chandrashekhar Chad wrote: "Tejas wrote: "Which audiobook was it? The one narrated by Brian Nishii? Is it complete and unabridged?"

Yep, Brian Nishii unabridged. This is the link on Audible."

Thanks for the confirmation! :) I plan to start listening tomorrow.