Sammy's Reviews > For One More Day

For One More Day by Mitch Albom

Jun 09, 2007

bookshelves: b-the-good
Read in June, 2007

Read this in about an hour and a half give or take a little bit for roommate and television distractions. This could be the quick beach read many people are seeking out this summer. Though if you're easily driven to tears than you may want to leave it at home.

Anywho, this review is probably going to be shorter than the summary given because I honestly don't have much to say about the book. It was good, no doubt about that. Albom's reflective and sentimental writing up to his usual par (though I only have The Five People You Meet in Heaven to compare it to). And it's got messages for the reader to take out of it.

There was still something missing. Perhaps it was the briefness of the book that kept me from becoming attached to the characters. The only reason I probably did become involved in the book, and others will too, is that there are many different issues just about anyone can relate to. Even then the characters aren't that sympathetic, or at least our protagonist Charley. He of course was full of faults, but that was what he was mostly full of. To have a character you like a lot and become attached to there has to be an even balance of pluses and minuses to their person. Had we a little more time to get to know Charley, perhaps he would have developed more and we would have become a little more involved.

So yeah, good book, usual Mitch Albom style, hurrah. You may want to try and avoid buying it though, because for such a short novel that you're more than likely not going to pick up again it's a little too much money to spend. But, to each his own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For One More Day.