Karen's Reviews > The Stranger In My Recliner

The Stranger In My Recliner by Doreen M. McGettigan

Nov 16, 2016

bookshelves: aging, dementia, family-drama

McGettigan's book chronicles the time she and her husband, John, spent caring for Sophie, a local woman in her 80s who was homeless at the time that John literally bumped into her on the street. He recognized her from around town and offered her a place to sleep on his couch at home.

What started as a short-term offer for help turned into weeks, months and years of living under the same roof. Doreen shares the vicissitudes of caring for someone who has profound need who also had personal habits that were difficult to accept. The book also steps back from time to time to address the problem of homelessness at large and the difficulty of negotiating through various social services.

I spent some time myself in the last two years serving as a lay minister to women in my local congregation in Kansas. We had many women in our congregation who had few resources as they moved into their late adulthood. Like Sophie, many older women are out of the public eye and suffer from lack of adequate shelter, food, and health care. It's a sobering topic, and McGettigan's book helps humanize what is all too often a statistic for people--if they think about older, impoverished women at all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranger In My Recliner.

Started Reading