Sara's Reviews > Our Dark Duet

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

Not quite 5 stars. Maybe 4 1/2? Or 4 3/4? I'm not sure yet.

What I am sure of, though, is that OUR DARK DUET will devastate you. The last couple chapters left me lurching, breathless, and sad. But at the same time, it's wholly appropriate, and it reminds us that sometimes the most fitting ending will come at a cost to the characters.

OUR DARK DUET starts off introspective, catching up with Kate and August in their new roles and realities since the end of THIS SAVAGE SONG. Then a new monster, one that Kate discovers in the city of Prosperity, is introduced - and all hell breaks loose. In positive ways that will keep you reading, of course.

It has more of everything that made THIS SAVAGE SONG so unputdownable for me: more suspense, more unique monsters, more heart-stopping action, and more reasons to be scared for Kate and August. But it's also more psychological, exploring the idea of inner demons as well as outer. It's twisty and terrifying and so intense that you'll swear it's going to give you nightmares, and yet you keep reading because WHY ON EARTH NOT?! The only part that didn't sit well with me was an almost-romantic moment between two characters that, to me, was unnecessary. It was the only such scene in the book, but I think it could have been more effective if it stayed platonic.

Otherwise... wow. OUR DARK DUET is exciting, heart-rending, and thought-provoking - perhaps the better book of the duology, and the crescendo that this series deserves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Dark Duet.

November 16, 2016 – Shelved
November 16, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 26, 2017 – Started Reading
July 26, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Might be starting this tonight if my current library hold isn't ready. *rubs her hands together in anticipation*"
August 1, 2017 –
page 65
12.75% "Didn't take long to feel right at home again with this world. Though I needed to re-read the last scene of This Savage Song to understand - actually, no, remember - what ODD's prologue was about.

Also: HEART EATERS?! (*cowers under a desk*)"
August 2, 2017 –
page 135
August 3, 2017 –
page 203
39.8% "Wow. The poetry-like passages here really mirror the terror of what Kate is experiencing. If you read them out loud the right way, you can almost feel her fear."
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-favorites