Mieneke's Reviews > Dark Heart: The Purgatory of Leo Stamp

Dark Heart by Darren J. Guest

bookshelves: 2011, horror, mystery

At the beginning of this year one of my bookolutions was to keep exploring SF, YA and horror as I'd really enjoyed the first steps I'd set within these genres in 2010. So when author Darren J Guest contacted me to review Dark Heart I jumped at the chance based on the flap text above. The book sounded really cool and right up my alley, so when it also turned out to be a horror novel I was doubly pleased. And after reading the book I was even more pleased as I really enjoyed this further foray into horror.

Leo is a very interesting protagonist. Dark Heart is his story and while there is plenty of action and skulking about, the main meat of the plot is psychological. As stated in the blurb, Leo is fractured when he is sixteen and this is reflected in his behaviour; on the one hand he is an adult, but at the same time he is a scared teen. In Dark Heart we see him, literally and figuratively, face his demons. Leo has to look his past and his memories in the eye and deal with them, in the process healing himself and fully growing up. Guest handles this expertly and I thought his choice of hallucination for Leo was awesome; Connery's Bond is perfect for the wry, mocking manifestation of Leo's wiser, grown-up half. Together with Bond, Leo manages to face his memories, which allows him to make the necessary connections to solve the mystery of Reuben and Michael. Despite all of this, Leo doesn't come across as an unreliable narrator. The reader is put on the wrong foot a couple of times in the novel, but Leo is there right along with her and doesn't seem to be hiding anything.

The concept of Dark Hearts is quite interesting, though one would expect that more people – if not most – would be Dark Hearts, as almost no one is either purely good or purely evil. I also liked the idea of Heaven and Hell but Purgatory being reincarnation. I found this very cool, almost a hybrid of Christianity and Hinduism, which seems oddly fitting. It did make me wonder about other Dark Hearts however, do they get to choose, like Leo, or are they just shoved back into a new body waiting to be born?

The narrative is driven by two triangles: Leo-John-Sadie and Leo-Michael-Reuben. The first triangle is your classic love triangle and one wonders what Sadie would have made of the whole situation, as she's never made aware that the two boys are competing for her. Both Sadie and John, while very important to the story, are placed somewhat outside the narrative; we don't really get to know them, other than through other people, Sadie through Leo and John's memories and John through Leo and Mick, Leo's surrogate father. Michael and Reuben are equally enigmatic, though they take a far more active role in the book. In both triangles Leo is the linchpin and as such he is the one that is completely fleshed out. On the whole, the fact that the secondary characters aren't so much underdeveloped as they are just a bit thin – they could have had more meat on their bones – isn't a huge problem at all. It allows us to stay with Leo, who is the heart and soul of the book.

The way Leo returns to life and the twist at the end had me completely surprised. The ending is superb, with Leo facing his version of Purgatory head on and leaving the reader hope for his salvation. Dark Heart is an awesome debut. The book was very enjoyable and a compelling page turner. If you are looking for a scary book with limited gore or horror of a psychological thriller bent, then Dark Heart is the book for you. It will be interesting to see where Guest goes from here, but if Dark Heart is anything to go by, it will be good.

This book was sent to me for review by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Heart.

July 2, 2011 – Started Reading