Lola 's Reviews > The Copper Gauntlet

The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, fantasy

3.5 stars.

Of course, this is no ‘‘The Mortal Instruments.’’ It doesn’t even compare. It’s not even some middle grade version of it with some elements changed. Not at all.

So it’s no wonder that, even though I do adore Cassandra Clare, I’m not exactly in love with this series. To tell you the truth, I did not enjoy the first book exactly, because of all the similarities to Harry Potter.

But this sequel helped the series redeem itself to me. I liked the mix of fantasy/magic and mystery. Callum struggles even more than in the first book, because although the signs are there (about who he really is) he cannot help but hope that it’s not true (and so do we!).

What’s also interesting about this story is that Callum is not the hero exactly. His friend Aaron is, to the eyes of everyone, even, I bet, Callum’s father. Who is missing! They need to find him before the bad guys do.

And kill him.

Lots of action and magic. I dare say that it’s a series worth continuing with even if, like me, you thought the first book came too close to HP.

If there’s one thing I would change, though, or work more on, if I were the author, that would be the teachers and magic school itself. It’s just not very exciting. And the teachers are not characters that are very memorable.

But this is a fun book to read for its magic, character dynamics and villains.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Copper Gauntlet.

November 12, 2016 – Started Reading
November 15, 2016 – Shelved
November 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by George (new)

George Jankovic Great review, Lola!

Lola Thank you :)

Sarah Awesome Review. I loved the Copper Gauntlet. I gave it five stars :)

Lola Yay, you!! xo