Olgalijo's Reviews > Waiting for the Biblioburro/Esperando el Biblioburro:

Waiting for the Biblioburro/Esperando el Biblioburro by Monica Brown

liked it
bookshelves: juvenile-book-review-group

A girl in an isolated town only has one book to read. She received this book from her school teacher, who has moved away, and now the children in the village have no teacher. One day a man arrives with his two donkeys carrying books. He reads stories to the children and loans them books until the next time he comes by. The girl writes her own story about the man with the mobile library and gifts it to him when he comes back.

My opinion of this book may be more negative than it would be in other circumstances, but I must confess that I was quite put off by finding an obvious typo in the very first sentence of the translation. There seem to be no more typos in the translation, but it feels quite clunky, using sometimes too many words to translate concepts that are easily translatable by a native speaker.

I also start to object to the overload of stories about awfully poor Latino children in rural environments. While this is something with which a few Latino children may identify, the truth nowadays is that many Latino children in the US have been born in the US or have come here too young to remember where they come from. I have difficulty in seeing how those children could relate to this story.

In general, I would say that the book is much better than other translations one could find ten or even five years ago, but it’s not something that I would be overjoyed to have randomly found.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for the Biblioburro/Esperando el Biblioburro.

Finished Reading