Cait • A Page with a View's Reviews > Lady Midnight

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: paranormal
Read 2 times. Last read November 14, 2016.

WHY DID I NOT READ THIS SOONER?!?!?

I know I haven't been Cassandra Clare's biggest fan in the past... I don't dislike her other books by any means, but I'm just not quite at the same level of wonderful enthusiasm I see in the rest of the book community. I finally got around to reading The Mortal Instruments this spring and was rather neutral about the whole thing. The story's idea was fun, but Jace and Clary kind of irritated me. I wasn't super into most of The Bane Chronicles or Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy, either. I totally got into The Infernal Devices by the third book, though! But no matter how much I loved Will, Jem, and Tessa, I thought that the writing still had a lot of filler and I wished I had skimmed a large portion of most books.

But oh my goodness the writing, characters, and EVERYTHING improved so much in this book that it's making me love those other series by association.

This book is the start of a new series with different main characters in a new location, but it still brings in some familiar faces to connect all of the stories. (And this story was so solid that I actually didn't mind a few pages of characters who previously irritated me. It was even kind of... fun to see them). But I honestly don't think you need to read TMI or TID first. Everyone told me that I wouldn't appreciate the old characters who popped in if I didn't read the other books first, but the appearances were done in a way that really didn't matter much to the story... like they're mostly thrown in so fans can see that everything is still happy with their favorites.

BUT NOW FOR THIS BOOK:

The story was long, but actually wasn't full of filler and I never once got bored. I wasn't terribly into that whole Lady Midnight plot and most of the threat, but it was still interesting! The Los Angeles Institute was fun to see, too.

But the amazing characters were by far the best part!! Especially EMMA AND JULIAN. I CANNOT GET ENOUGH CAPS LOCK FOR THESE TWO. All of the cliche forbidden love stuff that shows up in every single Shadowhunter book finally worked for me here. Call me crazy, but I got way more invested in the idea of a forbidden romance between parabati than I did with a forbidden romance between siblings...

Emma and Julian were just so wonderful and totally broke my heart. But the romance was still a bit anticlimactic for me. I actually had to go back to figure out (view spoiler). But this was by far the best out of any of her books so far! If TID only got better as it went, I'm super excited to see what the next book does.

And I absolutely loved all of the adorable siblings Julian was raising (and that whole side of his character’s struggles), but can we take a moment to appreciate Ty?! He’s on the spectrum, but it’s never once labeled or viewed as something “wrong,” it's not his whole identity, and he gets to play a complete role as a strong character. This was wonderful to see and I appreciated all of the diversity in this book so much!

Basically this was an awesome read and I completely recommend it even if you'll never read the other Shadowhunter books. The slow-burn romance, the characters who are complex people with some depth, the action-packed plot, the variety of obstacles everyone faces... it all works. I know I said nothing about the story, but I went into this without knowing anything and really appreciated that. So I'll just say give this a shot even if you couldn’t get into the other Shadowhunter books!

And to everyone else who hyped this thing up like mad: THANK YOU. Totally worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Midnight.

April 11, 2016 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
November 12, 2016 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
November 12, 2016 –
page 80
100% "Ok this book is seriously good" (Audiobook Edition)
Started Reading
November 14, 2016 –
page 571
100% (Audiobook Edition)
November 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 15, 2016 – Shelved
November 15, 2016 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔ Haha love the review! Haven't read mortal instruments but I did purchase TID recently because it seems to be such a fan favorite. Maybe if I make it through that series I'll check this out after :)

Olivia Oh, did my heart ever sing by the final words of your review, sweet one! I understand Cassandra Clare isn't everyone's taste, as she is one of my queens {shameless, ha!}, but I appreciate that you both admire and critique her work for what it is. However, hearing you found your diamond in the rust just makes my little Shadowhunter heart glisten! I hope to hear your review on the next installment in March, dear! :]

Cait • A Page with a View Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔ wrote: "Haha love the review! Haven't read mortal instruments but I did purchase TID recently because it seems to be such a fan favorite. Maybe if I make it through that series I'll check this out after :)"

Oh yay I hope you love this one! I did enjoy TID a lot and thought the first 3 books in TMI were fine (3.5 or 4 stars), so there's nothing I truly dislike about any of her books I guess. I just think this one is SO much better! :)

Cait • A Page with a View Olivia wrote: "Oh, did my heart ever sing by the final words of your review, sweet one! I understand Cassandra Clare isn't everyone's taste, as she is one of my queens {shameless, ha!}, but I appreciate that you ..."

Oh that's so sweet of you, thanks! And your love for her books makes me so happy to see!! :)

zelle yessss! I liked but didn't entirely love TMI, loved TID, and Lady Midnight was just amazing! The slow burn romance and ending worked so well, and I can't wait to read the next book. btw i LOVE your gifs like omg you have no idea how hard i'm laughing at the 'i ship it' one HAHAH

Olivia So glad you enjoyed this one :) TID will forever be my favorite and while I agree I don't think you need to read TMI for this one...I think without reading TID, you'd (or at least I) would wonder who Jem and Tessa are.

Sofi Mascaró told you you would love it.. and your review is just like mine: it's her best book until this date!! Emma and Julian... I think about them and it still hurts :'( so happy you enjoyed it :D

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I haven't read this either. I have no idea why. *sighs*

I'm happy to say that this is amazing though! Glad you loved it Cait!

Andreita24 Ohhh Cait AMAZING review really!!! I Love this book ❤️❤️❤️

Chanelle Great review! I read this book months ago and still think about it <3

message 11: by Stacee (new) - added it

Stacee OH REALLY?!? I've only read City of Bones and didn't care for it. This intrigues me.

Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ Yes! Emma and Julian were an instant favorite. I just didn't like the epilogue..as much as I enjoy hearing about characters from previous books, I feel like Clare goes too far with that. I honestly don't care about weird things going on with Clary and Jace anymore haha they had six books of that already!

Jennifer Love this review ! But... Mark is bae :D

Cait • A Page with a View zelle (fragilemyths) wrote: "yessss! I liked but didn't entirely love TMI, loved TID, and Lady Midnight was just amazing! The slow burn romance and ending worked so well, and I can't wait to read the next book. btw i LOVE your..."

Haha I found that one and just HAD to use it -- and I totally agree with your order of the books!

Cait • A Page with a View Olivia wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this one :) TID will forever be my favorite and while I agree I don't think you need to read TMI for this one...I think without reading TID, you'd (or at least I) would wonder w..."

Oh yeah for sure! Definitely agree that it wouldn't make as much sense (and could spoil who lives/gets together), but I think people could still follow this story overall.

Cait • A Page with a View Sofi wrote: "told you you would love it.. and your review is just like mine: it's her best book until this date!! Emma and Julian... I think about them and it still hurts :'( so happy you enjoyed it :D"

Thanks & you were totally right!

Cait • A Page with a View BlueLilyxLilyBlue wrote: "I haven't read this either. I have no idea why. *sighs*

I'm happy to say that this is amazing though! Glad you loved it Cait!"

I'm not sure if it's this amazing on its own or in comparison to the other Shadowhunter books, but I really loved it - hope you do too! :)

Cait • A Page with a View Andreita24 wrote: "Ohhh Cait AMAZING review really!!! I Love this book ❤️❤️❤️
And I'm totally agree with The forbidden love between parabati❤️❤️ I want the second book now!!!!"

ME TOOOO

Cait • A Page with a View Chanelle wrote: "Great review! I read this book months ago and still think about it <3"

I bet! I wish I had waited a bit closer to the release of the second book haha because I'm going to be in the same boat

Cait • A Page with a View Stacee wrote: "OH REALLY?!? I've only read City of Bones and didn't care for it. This intrigues me."

Same! I never really got into The Mortal Instruments, but I think you might like TID if you liked The Dark Days Club. And Lady Midnight was just way better done overall. The writing and everything improved a ton! (You def don't need to make it through TMI before this haha)

Cait • A Page with a View Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ wrote: "Yes! Emma and Julian were an instant favorite. I just didn't like the epilogue..as much as I enjoy hearing about characters from previous books, I feel like Clare goes too far with that. I honestly..."

Haha I KNOW! As soon as Jace showed up I rolled my eyes and actually groaned out loud in exasperation buuuut I was surprised at how little he irritated me here. I mean, it was fun to know what Magnus & Alec were up to, but I didn't need to particularly see all of them either.

Cait • A Page with a View Jennifer wrote: "Love this review ! But... Mark is bae :D"

I CANNOT BELIEVE I FORGOT TO GUSH ABOUT MARK! Yes that whole storyline was wonderful too!!

message 23: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Gaffney the funny thing is the sex scene was originally in a sea cave at Leo Carillo but she changed it to the beach because she didn't want to be known as the author who writes cave sex scenes

Cait • A Page with a View @Ben wasn't there like a beach IN a cave with Jace & Clary??

message 25: by Haifa (new)

Haifa Albelaihid I read all the TID books and the first 4 TMI books. I don't wish to read the other 2 TMI books I lost interest in them but I still love the world. I'm really hesitant about reading this book because a lot of people say that I should read everything before it. Do you think I'd enjoy the book if I just go ahead and read it or should I just read the two remaining books?

Cait • A Page with a View Haifa wrote: "I read all the TID books and the first 4 TMI books. I don't wish to read the other 2 TMI books I lost interest in them but I still love the world. I'm really hesitant about reading this book becaus..."

Honestly I think you're totally fine just reading these on their own!

Elizabeth Coker Just wanted to say thanks for this last comment, it was my exact question! You rock.

Diane I was pretty meh about TMI and the prequel trilogy.. but I think your review just convinced me to read these ones!