Moriah's Reviews > Secrets of a Reluctant Princess

Secrets of a Reluctant Princess by Casey Griffin

**This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment**

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

Hear ye, hear ye! I introduce to you a book of royal nerdiness!

Adrianna Bottom left Seattle behind, along with the relentless teasing and bullying—but her father’s billionaire bathroom business followed. She wanted to create a new life for herself in California, which was the most relatable part about her character. I wanted to be in touch with her, get lost in her story.There were times when I could not relate to Andy. The times when she was Princess Andy of Asdor were her best moments. I loved that Andy. I understood why she acted the way she did, I did, but there was a relatable click missing. She hid who she was almost too well, even in her inner dialogue. She only let the best Andy show while LARPing, and I would have liked more of her, because that Andy was extremely likable. The comic book references and LARPing dialogue created a whole other world that deserved some endless love.

I liked the relationship she had with her best friend. I would’ve had liked a little more but was glad where Griffin decided to go with their friendship. Harper as a character was great. She had her own story of unrequited love going on in the background. I still believe that Harper deserved more than Lennox, the thorn in Adrianna’s flesh for most of the book, and didn’t understand what she saw in him. Griffin did segue some of the blame for his actions onto another character, but I can’t say that I wanted Lennox to get his happily ever after like I did the other characters in the book.

Kevin…oh, Kevin. He, Dallas Lang, and Logan Scott would make the ultimate nerd (ehem, hot nerd) trio. I didn’t know what to think of him at first, but I slowly started to fall for him. I wanted Andy to stand up and shout to the heavens that she didn’t care if he was a nerd, because she was, too! There were times when I thought Kevin deserved better than the way Adrianna—not Andy—treated him. She gave him the benefit of the doubt for some of his tough feelings for her when he didn’t know Adrianna and Andy were the same person, yes, but there were times when his opinion of her was merited. Still, I wanted them to end up together. A lot of their problems boiled down to constant misunderstandings, and Andy did tell the story. She needed to find her way, and I wanted the path to lead toward Kevin.

If you enjoyed The Replacement Crush or The Summer I Became a Nerd , then this should be added to your collection. LARPing and bathroom accessories abound in Casey Griffin’s YA debut. Not only do you have a world (Asdor) within our own, but a fresh (ha, see what I did there?) voice on the scene. Plus, there’s nerd love!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Reluctant Princess.

November 15, 2016 – Shelved
November 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 19, 2017 – Started Reading
February 19, 2017 –
February 20, 2017 –
65.0% "All the angst. Things need to go right for a bit. Ugh - I love Kevin!"
February 22, 2017 – Finished Reading