Tanya's Reviews > These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901, Arizona Territories

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fiction

The voice of the main character, Sarah, captures you from the first page and is consistent throughout. Strong, feisty, funny and displaying a native intelligence that shines despite her lack of schooling, she narrates a tale that is at times, grim and harrowing, yet at other times, charming to the point that you can't help but chuckle. And the romance, while easily predictable, becomes more and more real and deep long after vows have been spoken. Indeed, it is a rare pleasure to read a book with such a love and understanding between man and wife.

Having read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," I wasn't too pleased at first to see the book told in a format not too different from letters, for I found that other novel took me a good 100 pages before I really began to be sucked into the story. Nancy Turner succeeds magnificently in this Journal format, however, to the point that you almost begin to ignore the dates for each entry. The story flows and the pace never falters.

Some have compared this to "To Kill A Mockingbird," and I wouldn't disagree. Where that novel brought the injustices of the South to life through a unique voice and set of characters, this one illuminates the wild Arizona Territories in the decades prior to statehood and the kind of women who pioneered that land.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.

July 1, 2011 – Shelved