Kellee's Reviews > The Last Dragon

The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen

1919931
Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga, fantasy, fairy-folk-retellings-or-modern, teen-ya, netgalley
Recommended to Kellee by: Provided by NetGalley for review

Jane Yolen weaves a beautiful retelling of the hero's journey where the hero is a liar and his mentor is *gasp* a girl. Yolen's story is accompanied by amazing artwork that at times is so delicate that it resembles traditional Japanese painting.

There a couple things that I specifically liked about this graphic novel-
1st, I loved the personification that Yolen used to describe the dragon and its surroundings at the beginning of the book: "dragons slept by the ocean's edge, in the green shade of trees that wept their leaves into the water." Phenomenal writing.
2nd, although the 3 sisters were kind of stereotypical for fairy tales (Rosemary: plain and a hard worker, Sage: one beautiful and air headed, Tansy: one hard headed and unique), Sage was entertaining throughout the story. Loved the comic relief. Other puns and humor were thrown in throughout as well such as the name of the town is Meddlesome because everyone quarrels and Yolen would put thought bubbles of what characters were thinking that were hilarious.

This graphic novel is perfect for so many readers and will certainly find a home in many classrooms and probably curricula as well.

(There were a couple of things I didn't like-
1st, I hated that a character that I really liked had to die so close to the beginning to get the story going. It does fit into the hero/fairy tale story, but I really liked him.
2nd, I didn't like the dialogue font, but I think since it was an e-galley that could change before final printing.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Dragon.