WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Royally Screwed

Royally Screwed by Emma Chase

Jul 16, 2017

bookshelves: contemporary, series

Thank you to Lover of Romance for the recommendation. And has now cruelly added another series to my never ending stack :)

I'm...I laugh to myself…I'm Cinderella, stepping into her coach to go to the ball. And even if this night is all there is, I won't forget it; I'll hold this memory close. Savor it, cherish it. It will make the hard times just a little easier, the lonely moments just a little less cold. When Ellie leaves for school, when I'm making pies before dawn in the kitchen day after day, I'll remember this feeling and I'll smile. This will get me through.

Cotton candy, fluff, and cheese-fest. You could call this all of those and you'd be right but I couldn't help myself from eating it up with a spoon; even when I groaned and rolled my eyes. But hey, romance stories help get us through, don't they?

This is told is dual pov from our hero and heroine and had a bit of a New Adult vibe. Our hero danced across the boar line a couple times and was colored a bit too much with an overly cocky paintbrush, which I usually loathe. Look, I have no excuses.

I giggle again---feeling silly and light-headed. Possibly delusional.

The heroine says it perfectly. I'm American and would never dishonor my ancestors by bowing a knee to royalty, and that is possibly how they get into my naughty taboo, I know I really shouldn't and that is why it's now hot category. The author's writing and tone is immensely readable, if not challenging. This is royalty fan fiction with no surprises and not a lot of depth but god help me, I read this in 24hrs with a goofy grin on my face most the time.

Don't read quote if you don't want a sneak peek at ending.
(view spoiler)

If I had read this in my teens, I'd have worn out the spine in two years. Alas, I read this in my thirties, so while I probably won't re-read this into oblivion, my dopey grin will stick around for a while.
Predictable, gooey, Cinderella-ish, and sugary satisfying.

"Smell."
After a moment, Henry leans down and sniffs the pages distrustfully.
"What do you smell?" Sarah asks.
Henry gives it another sniff. "It smells…old."
"Exactly!" She smells the pages herself, deep and long. "Paper and ink---there's nothing like it. The only thing that smells better than a new book is an old one."

The heroine of the next in the series already has my heart. Usually, this kind of story and trope only works for me once in a series but a book loving heroine? I MUST read it! Also, I NEED book three and the couple that stars in that one. NEED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royally Screwed.

November 14, 2016 – Shelved
November 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 10, 2017 – Started Reading
July 16, 2017 –
25.0% "Because exasperation was part of my charm.

Y'all, I don't know. I'm starting to have a real

with this book. I blame my love of cheese.
I'm veering back and forth between "Oh for Pete's sake!" and "Hee hee, giggle, giggle.""
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: series
July 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Bubu (last edited Jul 16, 2017 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bubu I giggled reading your review, imaging you with a goofy smile on your face :)

Grrr, you just made me re-think whether I shouldn't give the second one a try, but the premise,, Kyra, the premise.....Reality TV with the future king of a country? I'm cringing already. I'll wait for your review.

I may give the third one a try, though. That sounds okay!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Oh god, I know. If I hadn't gotten a glimpse of the heroine in this one and her shy, awkward, and love of books self, I'd have happily skipped it right on by. But she's my wallflower heroine I'll never be able to say no to.
I'm going to have to check my library to see if it's available and do an immediate sneak in.

Sam (AMNReader) Oh, I think I liked the second better...if that helps. ;)

Bubu Oh dear, Sam, not you, too. Le Sigh! Looks like I may read this then when I feel like it.

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Sweet review, K! Goofy grin is what Tangled did to you, still have to read all her other books but I've heard nothing but good things.

message 6: by Gio (new) - rated it 1 star

Gio Fantastic Review Kyra,

"Look, I have no excuses." Love this statement.

I definitely think I was in the wrong frame of mind while reading this one.

Bubu, you are not alone.