Maverynthia's Reviews > Moon Chosen

Moon Chosen by P.C. Cast

did not like it
Recommended for: racists, neo-nazis, Trump supporters

TRIGGER WARNING: THis book contains rape, threats of rape, racism and homophobia and thus I will be highlighting them

So if you love racist as hell books like "The Continent" have we got a book for you! Also probably want to go read one of those 5★ reviews.
First of all we have Earth Walkers who are the black, maybe dark skinned Asian people based on the fact that "but her eyes were wrong. They were bigger and almost almond-shaped." Presumable "almost" meaning that her Companion father helped her to get more "normal" white people eyes.
Then there are the Companions. The Tree Tribe. These are the blond haired, blue eyed white people that are "WISE AND JUST" even though they enslave and murder the Earth Walkers and call them Scratchers. I don't remember if there was a vulgar term for Companions.. probably isn't one because they are so White and Pure and Wise and JUST! They have dogs. Shephard are better than Terriers. What happened to all the other dogs? Who knows! This is dystopia.
Finally we have the Skin Stealers. They are the cannibals that don't really do anything except paint themselves like Native Americans, have lots of sex, skin people and eat them. We don't have a vulgar term for them either.

Now takes all of this together and add a lot of filler and you'll have this book. This was a very tedious book to get through having so many words that don't add to the story at all.
We have Mari that whines that she's not the Moon Woman, yet she fakes being sick and doesn't really practice. Compare this with Sora that does want to be the Moon Woman, but we are supposed to see her in a bad light because she makes eyes at the guys and acts like a typical person. She's kind of the princess type that's weak and is going to need Mari to save her later. She also almost gets raped just to put her in her place.
Then there is Nik the Companions that is also part of the white savior trope that we have going on here. Mari is basically the other half.
Oh then there's the Night Fever that strikes the Earth Walkers. We don't know what causes it, but Drawing Down the Moon Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America by Margot Adler Drawing down the moon can cleanse them of it. This needs to be performed every 3 days or the women turn into a depressed crying mess and the men turn into violent rapists. :D Fun right?
Now comes the fun when a shepard pup escapes the Treeple and runs off to Mari. So all the Treeple get together to find the pup leading to Mari's clan where then eventually leads to Mari's mom dying, Jenna being enslaved, Jenna's dad being killed, Danita being "raped so bad she might be unable to have children" and pretty much all of Mari's clan being murdered by the Companions.
Where do the Skin Stealers fit into this? They kind of bait the Companions and set it up for Mari and Nik to meet. The lesbian couple is broken up by one of them dying. That's about it. Oh and they make Thaddeus evil, even though he was on the path because "Terrier people can't be leaders so I'm going to kill everyone to make a point." Then Mari washes the people that the tree people kidnapped and everything is on fire. Then there is maybe a trans person, or a trans cat? Right at the end.
All amongst this is Mari calling her people Scratchers the derogatory name for them that she leart from somewhere.
Now amongst this is just endless spewage of words that you can honestly skim past and still understand what's going on. Add to this copy paste basic Wiccan rituals that you can find in any 101 book. Cast doesn't even do this once just to illustrate. No, it's every. Damn. Time.
So we have maybe Native American stand ins that kill and eat people, paint their bodies and wear their skin.
Black, maybe Asian or Islander men that go "crazy" and rape and kill people when they aren't washed every 3 days. The women cry a lot and die of a broken heart.
And the white people that kill and enslave the Earth Walkers but who are called "wise and just" by Mari's mother, who is an Earth Walker.
I could talk about the amazing amount of misogyny going on in here, but I think others have covered it. Because we have that going on too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Chosen.

November 14, 2016 – Started Reading
November 14, 2016 – Shelved
November 14, 2016 –
2.0% "Uuggghhhhhhhhhh This thing found it's way into my inbox like that VHS from The Ring."
December 2, 2016 –
11.0% "Who the fuck are all these people and why should I care?"
December 3, 2016 –
20.0% "Waaah I don't get to be Moon Woman despite the fact I did bugger all for it!\nAlso Galen's people were wise and just. They also capture, kill and enslave people... WISE AND JUST!"
December 3, 2016 –
29.0% "This book is literally making my head hurt. WTF is even going on in it."
December 5, 2016 –
43.0% "I'm not hating this book as much as HoN. It just seems to be a long boring book that ignores reality to have this racist view of the "tree elves" and the "dirty humans" or whatever. As the Tree people are kind of described how elves mostly are."
December 6, 2016 –
49.0% "It's like she read one book on Wicca and not a very good one and then thought she was an expert about "Drawing Down The Moon" or something."
December 6, 2016 –
53.0% "Everything that is beautiful is good, old is ugly and bad. Women are meant to serve the men. \n\nI'm also getting tired of reading "Mama!" over and over."
December 7, 2016 –
58.0% "I wonder if the character Sheena is named after the Shepard dog from the Parasite Even game Sheeva.... who turns into a horrible Thing monster."
December 7, 2016 –
66.0% "Finally got to the inevitable part where Nik and Mari are together so they can fall in lurve"
December 7, 2016 –
71.0% ""but her eyes were wrong. They were bigger and almost almond-shaped."\n\nImma just leave that there"
December 7, 2016 –
76.0% "I kind of want Sora and Mari to hook up and raid the Companion camp and save their people. But this book isn't that cool"
December 8, 2016 –
82.0% "So a man doesn't like a woman trying to kill him, yet in all the YA romance I see, a woman is supposed to swoon when he's trying to kill her."
86.0% "This book...."
December 8, 2016 –
89.0% "Just a little more.... then I'm done..."
December 9, 2016 –
90.0% "So we'll just name drop the Moon Woman thing that we've been trying to not let Nik know about."
December 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Johanna (new)

Johanna That sounds like you had a lot of fun! xD

message 2: by Chloe (new) - added it

Chloe I was so excited for this book...I bought it and everything...but all my hopes died when I actually started reading it. I only got a quarter of the way through, but a lot of what you pointed out immediately jumped out to me. I especially thought it odd how the 'fever' in Mari's clan turns the people into savages--and the women into weeping messes. Anyway, great review and I totally agree!!