Nardsbaby Reader's Reviews > Superwoman's Child: Son of a Single Mother

Jul 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2k11-3rd-quarter

S.W.C.

SUPERWOMAN’S CHILD by J.L. Woodson tells the story of Sean Morris, a troubled child, and his mother Cynthia, a single parent doing the best that she can to raise her young son right.

I was expecting some kind of insight from the standpoint of the son as to why he was getting in trouble, missing school assignments and not applying himself. The apparent issue of his missing father seems convenient more so than actual and I would’ve preferred if the author had been more detailed in the action plans the therapist worked on while helping the child became familiar with his emotions.

SUPERWOMAN’S CHILD wasn’t a bad read; it’s just not what I thought it would be as readers hear from Sean’s standpoint. And though you see him finally get his act together, the story itself just isn‘t strong enough to hold your interest.

While I’m all for suggesting books, I find it hard to believe that a teenaged boy would recommend EVERY WOMAN NEEDS A WIFE to other teenage boys. I get that the author of that book is the author of this book’s mother, but perhaps what would’ve been more helpful is a book relatable to teen boys. I enjoyed the college visits as that part of the story was detailed with rich and valuable history. A few issues in editing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superwoman's Child.

July 1, 2011 – Shelved
page 103
page 110
August 27, 2011 –
page 152
55.88% "All I keep asking myself is, WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS!"
August 27, 2011 – Finished Reading