John Overman's Reviews > Born to Run

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

As a teenager when Bruce Springsteen released "Born in the USA," I remember how much I liked that album. Every song struck a different chord, and that's when I knew Springsteen was in fact a musical artist aside from his fame as an entertainment juggernaut. In college, "Born to Run" became a theme song for me, especially with the line: "We're gonna get to that place that we really want to go and we'll walk in the sun..." Springsteen forges deep connections through his songs. His autobiography is nothing short of taking an incredible vacation with a terrific talent.

To start, Bruce invites readers into his childhood of growing up in low-income housing with people in New Jersey who impressed him as interesting characters. Bruce tells us that from an early age, he was drawn to music and the stage. I admire his significant level of thinking when he was barely finished with high school and studying bands at shows. At 18, I would be lucky enough to dance and enjoy myself in the company of friends while sometimes singing along with the band on my best nights. Bruce, on the other hand, paid close attention to the instrumentation and musical intelligence on full display every single moment. He shares thoughts with readers I find incredibly insightful in relation to music appreciation. He always was, as he humbly says, a natural.

Throughout this story of his life, Bruce reveals himself to be a conflicted man. He feels life deeply and absorbs everything around him. Having grown a great heart for people who struggle to survive like all those he came to know and love in New Jersey, he initially rejects his fame and fortune. In this book, we learn how Bruce produces music to capture stories and themes, culture and characters, mixed emotions and unsettling conclusions. Overall, this book invites readers into an accessible contemplation of how music can beautifully and brutally express the human condition. And through it all, Bruce overcomes adversity. He sees life honestly and moves through its murky depths with hope and love and heartbreak and passion, all with never-ending determination.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

November 13, 2016 – Shelved
November 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 15, 2017 – Started Reading
June 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Mizell JMO, do you have the book? If not, please email your postal address if it has changed since 2010, and I'll send the book to you. I enjoyed it a lot, even though I was not a Springsteen fan.

John Overman Thank you so much, Robin. I finally posted my 5-star review. Now it's back to reading for school!