Rachel Gilbey's Reviews > Bertie's Gift

Bertie's Gift by Hannah Coates

Emotional and adorable I think are the key words to describe Bertie's Gift. Written from Bertie's point of view, we are taken on a harrowing tail of his long term owner's grief, a dog shelter and then his new home...

He has always been close to his sister Molly, but when they are taken to the dog shelter, the two loveable beagles are split up and adopted by two very different families. All Bertie wants is to be reunited with his beloved sister.

And in trying to find her, he enlists the help of some unlikely friends at his new house. In the mean time his new family are also struggling emotionally, and Bertie is also wishing he could do more to try and get the various family members to talk to each other.

When I started Bertie's Gift I wasn't expecting for me to be unable to put it down, and for me to lost in the pages for the following three hours while I read this story. It grabbed me from the first pages, and tugged my heart in all angles, to the extent I was pretty much in tears by the end.

I was so impressed by how much Bertie and his canine and feline friends got under my skin, and I really felt for all of them. Bertie is a young dog, and doesn't mean to get into as much trouble as he seems to, but sometimes just can't quite control his natural doggy instincts.

Bertie's Gift is a wonderful heartwarming story, about man's (and woman's ) best friend, and just how loyal dogs are to each other and to their humans. This I feel would be a fantastic book to give as a Christmas present to an animal lover, or to anyone that loves brilliant books.

Thank you Hodder and Netgalley for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bertie's Gift.

Started Reading