Dani Shuping's Reviews > Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory

Jul 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel, short-note-review

brief notes:

Continuing his series on the Olympians, O'Connor now takes us on the journey of Hera and how she became Queen of the Olympians. I've got to be honest and say that Hera has never been my favorite of the Olympians, she's always been depicted as cruel and hateful by every writer that I've encountered, so I was eager to see how O'Connor would portray her...but I was left a bit disappointed. O'Connor focuses the majority of the book on the story of Heracles with Hera only making brief appearances. Even more confusing to me is that O'Connor states that Hera is his favorite goddess, yet she rarely appears in her own story.

All that being said, in the brief glimpses we do get of Hera we come to know her a bit better, that she is motivated not by power or hate, but by simply trying to do what is right--at least in her own mind. Overall O'Connor's series excels at making Greek mythology accessible to all ages, especially young readers. While he doesn't cover anything in depth, his stories do create a good foundation and information on how these gods still have an impact in our lives today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hera.