Wulfwyn 's Reviews > The Little Voice

The Little Voice by Joss Sheldon

Nov 22, 2016

What a strange book this turned out to be for me. I wasn't sure what to expect when I began it. I have a tendency to randomly pick books, or select review books, without knowing anything about them, ( or, in some cases, very little). I don't read reviews before I read the books either. I fear spoilers too much. I fear others opinions coloring my reading, especially if I respect their reviews. So I avoid and then let a relationship unfold as I read.
There is so much I learned and reflected upon while reading this book! This is the reason for the slow reading. This book was like spending time with a mentor that I highly respect. One who knows the best way for someone to grow is to share experiences and invite them to reflect on them. To bring forth questions for them to ponder upon. Each of us is on a different path with individual experiences, even if it resembles another's path. This is why we can empathize with another but never fully understand their situation.
In reading this story, I found myself thinking of children in my family with autism. Conforming to the world is very difficult for them. They see things in their individual ways. I have tried finding a balance with them. The world will not conform to them yet, if allowed, they have much to teach the world. I also reflected upon my experience with domestic violence. I accepted the training of conforming to another's vision out of fear. Even when the little voice inside was screaming at me, fear quieted it until it was nothing. One of the things I also found myself thinking on while reading this book was the election that just passed: the political correctness, the unwillingness to allow another opinion, the rebellion that has happened on both sides. The book allows for many opportunities to reflect upon life in all directions. This is what I love so much about it.
Can I say I was entertained while reading this book? Honestly, I have no idea yet. I will be thinking on this book for awhile. I expect to visit it more than once in the future. I expect it will probably affect me as much. I believe I will have different experiences to add to my reflections. I have already begun recommending this book in my life so it is easy to say here, I recommend this book.
I received an ecopy of this book through BookTasters for review consideration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Voice.

November 13, 2016 – Started Reading