Scott's Reviews > Doctor Who: Touched By An Angel

Doctor Who by Jonathan    Morris

Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: doctor-who

I know the Doctor Who books these days are aimed at a younger audience. This is right and proper. And they're *good* books. I'd gnaw off my own leg for the chance to write one. But I must admit, as a 39 year-old *reader*, a tiny part of me misses the days of Virgin's New Adventures and the better BBC Books, when they were aimed at adults.

In some ways Jonny's book feels very adult focused - with it's seemingly endless list of 90s pop culture references - there's even an Echobelly gag, oddly the second book I've read in a row to rag on Sonya's gang - but it's also got a good, solid, fun, modern, child-friendly Doctor Who story running through it, with plenty of nasty Weeping Angel action and a timey-wimey plot that Steven Moffat would be proud of.

It perfectly hits that 'intelligent 13 year-old' sweet spot that Robert Holmes used to bang on about, not by being scarier than a 7 year-old could handle, or cramming the book with sex and violence in the mistaken belief that this makes it more grown-up (yes, Season One of Torchwood, I'm looking at you - and a fair few New Adventures, too!), but instead by dealing with deeply felt adult emotions, tragedy, love, loss, heartbreak and regret, in a way that children will understand and adults will find surprisingly affecting.

One of the best original Doctor Who books I've ever read, and I've read, oh, LOADS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.

message 1: by Mal (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mal Miss the VNAs too. Never gave the EDAs a chance though.