Perry ★TBBSisterhood Blog★'s Reviews > RoomHate

bookshelves: hot-for-another-ho, quick-read, total-page-turner

4.5 Stars

Romantic. Sweet. Heartwarming.
(Spoiler free review)

This was my first book by Penelope Ward (I know right? Where have I been living, under a rock?) but it definitely won't be my last. I approached this book with caution... I was aware that there were things in it that some of friends found were deal breakers. When I saw this book had been shortlisted in this year's Goodreads Choice awards, curiosity won over. And I am so glad for that.

I described this book to a friend as "somehow bigger than the sum of all its parts" and I stand by that description. Ward is sparse in her writing, extremely succint to the point that her writing may seem deceptively simplistic. It's actually anything but. There is real thought into her words, and a deeper sense of the characters and the overarching message. Even though there were several things in this that bothered me I still felt unbelievable elation when I finally closed the book. It was SO EMOTIONALLY SATISFYING I was utterly surprised.

For a while this felt like a train wreck... Justin seemed too whiny and self-centered, not to mention kind of a weiner. A lot of his actions made me feel like he was a wishy washy hero that didn't really know what to do with his feelings. My personal preference are heroes that are crazy in love, jealous and possesive. I want them to stop at nothing in their single-minded pursuit of the heroine. That is absolutely not the trope we have here. In fact he's very much in a relationship with someone else during a large portion of this book.

And still I ended up loving this story.

Amelia as a character surprised me in her sweet simplicity. I adored the back story of the main protagonists, it was just the kind of powerful story that I favor. The stuff with the little red cinema and the foreign movies... all of it. I just adored it. I also loved how children were incorporated in this book... and yet I normally don't love it when babies are involved in the mix.

It's so frustrating when you see other readers loving a book and for the life of you, you can't figure out why because you thought the story was so crap. I'm glad this ended up being a winner for me. I can say I fully understand the hype.

I laughed in parts, I got annoyed, I yelled at the story, I ranted and complained, but ultimately I sighed with happiness. All these emotions are exactly the reason I read. So, Penelope Ward... here you go, take my 4.5 stars and thanks for the ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read RoomHate.

November 12, 2016 – Shelved