Bookslut's Reviews > The Giant's House

The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken

bookshelves: oddball

McCracken is a brilliant writer, though sometimes over-careful in this book. If every sentence is exquisitely, meticulously crafted, the mind has nowhere to rest. I think you need some boring old regular sentences mixed in to let a book breathe. That's a small critique though. The pace, which lagged a little in the first half (so careful) was much improved in the second half, and I read compulsively through the second part of the book. I loved the notion of it; the giant, the librarian, Cape Cod, I found it all really delicious. The ending was a little weirder than I thought we were headed for, but it was fine. I thought a couple times that the narrator was a midget, and I'm glad I was wrong and the author resisted going in that direction. James was a likable character, the perimeter characters were shallow (purposely, I think) but interesting, and the librarian was rich. It's a good read.

Ok, there turned out to be nothing unseemly, no weird statutory giant sex, but from the synopsis it's possible to think this was a book with a very uncomfortable topic. And the other book I've read by McCracken, her masterful and incomparable memoir about stillbirth, is another topic that many people find off-putting, or too hard. She's very daring, but it's almost like she's dodging commercial success with these choices. I almost didn't read this one, read it mostly on credit due to her memoir. I don't know, strange choices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giant's House.

November 12, 2016 – Started Reading