Julie's Reviews > Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems

Jun 30, 2011

bookshelves: best-read-alouds

This is the best read aloud ever. The premise is unique; a pigeon who wants to drive a bus. Spot on line drawings that are easy to see and understand in unusual colors. The story begs to be interacted with. I tipped my hand to the kids to yell "No!" everytime the pigeon pleaded to drive the bus. Great pacing. A big surprise emotional explosion which takes kids off guard. And finally a fun twist ending.

If you are feeling artsy, Mo Willems provides a simple how-to-draw the pigeon tutorial on this website:

I have done this approximately one million times with K-2. It is super easy to demonstrate and the kids get a sense of mastery and they are stunned at how well it turns out.

Supplies: paper, pencil, eraser for the perfectionists, and crayons if there is time to color.
I have also demo'ed how to drive the bus.

Tips: Be sure the artists get started at the top of their paper or they won't have room for the legs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret This sounds like so much fun. It makes me miss reading to primary students in the library.... enjoy yourself!