AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

Jun 30, 2011

bookshelves: parenting, gender-studies

TCL Call Number: 305.23082
Suzy's rating: 4 stars

This is a fun to read book about raising girls. The author covers such topics as popular culture, marketting, toys, fairy tales, fashion, Disney princesses, princess culture, and how physical perfection has become the source for female empowerment. The author shares her struggles as a parent, and the choices she must make. Parents concerned about the future of girls, should read this book. It would also be a great read for an early childhood educator, or teacher.

Cindy's rating: 4 stars

I always have my radar up when it comes to hot topics for girls, being the mother of a 14 year old female. So, I went to a book talk and community discussion by Peggy Orenstein, the author of this book, sponsored by the Teton County Schools and the Equipoise Foundation. She was a very entertaining speaker.

This book, however, didn't make me radically alter my parenting philosophy, but it did make me more aware of our accepted cultural norms, particularly when it comes to how our society treats women and girls.

In this book the author opened my eyes to just how much we as women are manipulated by media and the marketing culture. I was fascinated by the scientific data and breadth of her research.

The best part was her writing style, her often acerbic wit, which made this an entertaining read as well. I will never look at a Disney Princess again without thinking of this book...and please don't call my daughter "sassy".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinderella Ate My Daughter.

Finished Reading