Marisa's Reviews > It Ends with Us

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

Nov 10, 2016

This was not the kind of book I would naturally gravitate toward, and I think part of that is my preconception of it as a straight-up romance novel, which it is not. Without giving anything away, I'll say that romance is present, but this is absolutely about Lily and her personal journey, her hardships and getting through it, and for me, that made all the difference.

Lily's relationships with Atlas and Ryle are definitely present within the book, but to me, the most stand-out relationships were Lily's relationships with other women in her life. Her friendship with Allysa was so pure, so selfless. It warms my heart that they each have so such heartfelt well wishes for the other. And Lily and her mom, Jenny --- that was another lovely relationship. It may have begun in a place of resentment and low-key antagonism, but the growth they experienced by the end was beautiful. Also, the Ellen DeGeneres letters were <3

This is a book I think everyone should read, despite their genre preconceptions, because the central theme --- which is basically that we aren't always very sympathetic to people in Lily's situation --- is one that everyone can appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Ends with Us.

November 5, 2016 – Started Reading