Jess's Reviews > An Object Of Beauty

An Object Of Beauty by Steve Martin

Jun 30, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: american-literature, contemporary, art, new-york
Read on July 03, 2011

Looking at all these four and five star ratings, I cannot help but wonder if I am missing something. This is the first of Steve Martin's books that I have read (I have seen the film adaptation of Shopgirl but not gotten my hands on the novel itself). His writing is clear and sparse - sparseness not being my favourite style but appreciated when done well - and his love of art and knowledge of the various scenes that come with it are evident. Where this novel fails for me is that I didn't care for Lacey, nor the narrator...nor anyone else who appears, really. The narrative arc was too slight and the character development (particularly of Lacey) virtually non-existent. It took me two separate attempts to finish reading it, and I felt for much of the time I was going through the motions, just trying to get to the end - and hoping to god that something would happen along the way. I am going to give Shopgirl a chance, but I fear that this particular novel was simply not an object of beauty I can appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Object Of Beauty.