Denisa C's Reviews > The Rose and the Dagger

The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh

9199857
Dec 16, 2016

bookshelves: owned-books

I would have finished this earlier, if not for the lack of free time. Because the writing makes the pages fly by, when you actually have time to read.
Like I said the strong points of this duology are in the characters and the world, even though it might not be that well developed, the feeling it gives is a magical one. I am not saying there is no action, but I would say Ahdieh is a better writer when it comes to characters and not necessary when it comes to the action (I think after The Winner's Curse trilogy, there are few authors that can do what Rutkoski did, meaning writing the characters and action so well).
I enjoy the characters, but I did not have a connection with them. I like Shazi and Khalid, but I was not sold on their relationship. It builds nicely, but for me it lacks the fire, like it did in the first book, there is something missing and it is just my preference. There are some great developments when it comes to secondary characters arc, like Irsa or Tariq, I am adding even Rahim, because there was a scene of him that really got to me: (view spoiler)
Like I said there is action, but it doesn't really gives you that rush of adrenalin. But they exist. This book is not that character driven like the first one, is more plot and action driven, given that of what happen in the first book. I think some of the characters could have been used more often, but in the end most of the characters where brought in their deserving place, with their proper character arc.
I want the mention the world again, because the way it is written makes it feel so magical. I am really looking forward to see what she can do with other worlds she builds.
So, in conclusion, although it seems like it took me forever to finish it, I recommend this book for the characters and the world, because they are really very well written. Looking forward to Ahdieh's new novel. Also, I might read the novellas, but that towards the end of the year.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose and the Dagger.

November 9, 2016 – Shelved
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 10, 2016 – Started Reading
November 10, 2016 – Shelved as: owned-books
December 3, 2016 –
page 102
24.29% "Go away reading slump!! Go away\n\n"
December 14, 2016 –
page 400
95.24% "I don't know where I am exactly, but I am pretty sure I've passed the 400 mark. This damn non existing free time keeps getting in the way. Good so far, but I am not blown away, like I was expecting."
December 15, 2016 –
page 420
100.0% "After a constant battle with my lack of free time, I finally did it! It did not blow me away, but it keeps a constant rhythm, so stay tuned for the review that will probably come tomorrow or around this month. Who knows? But it will be here by the end of the year. \n\n"
December 16, 2016 – Finished Reading