Dan Schwent's Reviews > Revolver

Revolver by Michael Patrick Hicks

Nov 09, 2016

bookshelves: 2017, 2017-books

In an all too plausible dystopian future, Cara Stone agrees to be on Revolver, a web show where the contestant raises money for his or her family before killing themselves on live TV. Too bad Cara has other plans...

Michael Patrick Hicks is one of those sneaky Goodreads authors that pretends to be an ordinary reader and rarely mentions his own books. Pretty slick, huh?

Anyway, Revolver is a dystopian novella reminiscent of Richard Bachman's The Running Man. Society has gone to hell in a hand basket since the women-hating, gun-loving religious zealots took over. Food riots are common and The Revolver is the only way out for a lot of people. Yeah, it's way too plausible and not as far away as one might hope. Cara ruminates on her past as the show time grows near. When the cameras role, things quickly go off the rails with Cara wielding the smoking gun.

Michael's writing packs a punch, both in terms of subject matter and word choices. Also, the suspense is agonizing. There are some powerful moments in the book and I'm at a loss at how to express myself. Fear for the future? Hell, fear for the present?

Revolver is one powerful little novella and a chilling vision of things to come. Five out of five stars.

Note: For the month of May, Michael is donating the proceeds from Revolver to the ACLU. See his website for details.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolver.

November 9, 2016 – Shelved
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2017 – Started Reading
May 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
May 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
May 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Bark (new)

Bark Yay, I've got this one sitting on the Ipad!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "Yay, I've got this one sitting on the Ipad!"

I'm ashamed to say I had it on my Kindle for over a year.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) The author who either (1) isn't active on GR at all or (2) never talks about being an author is my most favorite type of author : )

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "The author who either (1) isn't active on GR at all or (2) never talks about being an author is my most favorite type of author : )"

Mine too!

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu I need to use "hell in a hand basket" more in my everyday lingo.