Booketeer's Reviews > Baby Shark's Beaumont Blues

Baby Shark's Beaumont Blues by Robert Fate

Jun 29, 2011

Read in June, 2011

This was an excellent shoot-em-up crime novel set in the fifties with blonde protagonist Kristin Van Dijk. I found the first book, Baby Shark, to be an immense but guilty pleasure. Probably the best retro hardboiled story I had read in a decade. However, the guilt kept me from reading the sequel for awhile.

It shouldn't have. Beaumont Blues is superior to the prequel in several ways. First: it is not a straight revenge tale, so I don't have as much moral dissonance with the story. (I had no problems with the death of the villains, just not the way my heroine brought it about as her quest.)

Second, the Korean does not figure in the story. In the first book I just didn't feel convinced he was a real character. Seemed embarrassing in a way akin to Charlie Chan.

Third (related to first but distinct), this was more a straight PI story with a case that "goes bad." I liked this better. It showed Kristin and her partner were loyal to others rather than seeking their own justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby Shark's Beaumont Blues.

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Can you read this without reading Baby Shark, or is it important to start with Baby Shark?

Booketeer I think you could read this by itself.