Tracy's Reviews > The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape

The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shepherd's Life.

Quotes Tracy Liked

James Rebanks
“He asked what I made of the other students, so I told him. They were OK, but they were all very similar; they struggled to have different opinions because they’d never failed at anything or been nobodies, and they thought they would always win. But this isn’t most people’s experience of life. He asked me what could be done about it. I told him the answer was to send them all out for a year to do some dead-end job like working in a chicken-processing plant or spreading muck with a tractor. It would do more good than a gap year in Peru. He laughed and thought this tremendously witty. It wasn’t meant to be funny.”
James Rebanks, The Shepherd's Life: A People's History of the Lake District

November 8, 2016 – Shelved
November 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 10, 2016 – Started Reading
November 10, 2016 –
page 11
3.62% "It is the story of a family and a farm, but it also tells a wider story about the people who get forgotten in the modern world."
November 10, 2016 –
page 23
7.57% "'Commoner' isn't a dirty word here; it is a thing to be proud of. It means you have rights to something of value, that you contribute to the management of the fells, and that you take part in our way of life as an equal with the other farmers."
November 25, 2016 –
page 190
62.5% "Winter: the combination of wind and deep snow is a killer... If you've ever seen ewes lying dead behind walls after the snow has cleared, or seen lambs lying dead where they were born, you will never love snow so innocently again."
November 28, 2016 – Finished Reading