Helia's Reviews > History Is All You Left Me

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

Jan 25, 2017

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, diverse-reads, age-young-adult

I had very on-and-off feelings about History is All You Left Me, but ultimately the book made me a little uneasy.

Jumping from past to present events was really effective here given how grief often doesn't work chronologically, but I think a bit of it was done just for dramatic effect. The loss of a loved one is all-consuming, but it didn't quite make sense to me that I as a reader was with Griffin for every thought he had, and yet there were huge things that were not revealed until the end.

My main issue with History, however, is that I think all of the relationships are super unhealthy, even the platonic ones. I know that there were some dynamics here where the characters ended up acknowledging what they had was unhealthy (although not to the extent I would've liked), but others were treated as okay. And I find it very hard to agree that what Theo and Griffin had ought to be remembered by the characters as a healthy relationship.

My feelings about this book are a jumbled mess because love and loss and mental illness are not straightforward. There were parts I liked, like how Griffin's mental illness was focal and not a plot dependent quirk, but also parts I didn't, like how child-like the nerdiness of the characters were, and just their relationships and interactions in general. In the end there were just far too many parts that didn't work for me.

Diversity Note: gay protagonist with OCD and delusional disorder

Warnings: death, mourning, grief, unhealthy relationships

An ebook copy of this book was provided to me via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

You can find this review and more at Rose Quartz Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read History Is All You Left Me.

November 8, 2016 – Shelved
November 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 12, 2017 – Started Reading
January 18, 2017 –
20.0% "I don't know why but I'm not connecting to this at all. I don't connect to Griffin, I can't connect to the sadness I expected to feel, and I can't believe the relationship? It kind of feels like I'm reading a diary of a complete stranger. And that makes me cringe because I'm inside the *written* mind of a character, but there's something I'm missing for me to know what they're going through."
January 20, 2017 –
50.0% "I don't know at what point my feelings changed, but I'm kind of invested now. I think learning the 'history' helped me understand the 'today'. I can't tell what's to follow for Griffin and Jackson, but I want to know."
January 25, 2017 –
51.0% "With exams and TV show marathons and being super ill I haven't been reading!! I should've read and reviewed this weeks ago!"
January 25, 2017 –
77.0% "I saw this coming a mile away but oh dear this can't end well"
January 25, 2017 –
84.0% "I also saw this coming somehow and yet not to this extent. Damn these kids are a mess."
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary