Patricia's Reviews > I'd Know You Anywhere

I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

Jun 29, 2011

Eliza Benedict and her family have recently moved back to the United States after living several years in England. The move was brought about by Eliza’s husband’s employment. The children are just adjusting to the move. Eliza’s daughter Isobel (Iso) and her son Albie are in new schools and attempting to get used to life in the states after being gone so long.

Eliza’s ordinary life is suddenly interrupted when she receives a letter from Walter Bowman, a death row inmate. Walter had spotted Eliza’s picture in a magazine and his letter states “I’d know you anywhere”. Walter had kidnapped Eliza when she was only 15 years old. Walter held Eliza hostage for40 days before she was finally released. This is a part of Eliza’s life that she hasn’t shared with her children.

Eliza’s full name was Elizabeth Hortense Lerner prior to her marriage. After her abduction, her parents moved and she entered a new school under the name of Eliza. Only her parents, her sister Vonnie and Eliza’s husband are aware of the past circumstances until a woman who has taken up Walter’s cause finds Eliza and encourages her to talk to Walter. Eliza finally decides after discussing the matter with her husband that she will speak with Walter. She installs a new telephone line and instructs Walter that the only hours she will be willing to answer the phone is during the time her children are away at school. Walter wants Eliza to visit him on death row. Eliza isn’t the only girl he kidnapped but she is the one who lived. He indicates if she will only visit him, he will reveal information to her about the other that he has previously refused to discuss.

The story of the kidnapping is told in flashbacks. It seems there were many times Eliza had the opportunity to escape but fear that Walter would carry out his threats to harm Eliza’s family held her back. Eliza remembers the many days she was held by Walter and her methods of coping with a horrible situation.

This is a book that I very much enjoyed and would highly recommend.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'd Know You Anywhere.