Rachel's Reviews > Landline

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

it was ok

“Nobody’s lives just fit together. Fitting together is something you work at. It’s something you make happen – because you love each other.”

Ehh, this book was okay. It was a quick read, and I wasn’t bored, but at the same time, I didn’t love it.

The single reason for my low rating was Neal. In my opinion, he was a pretty horrible person, yet we were supposed to like him. He ignored Georgie before they start dating, he pouted when he’s not happy with a situation, and he had no problem telling her that her dreams are stupid. He is described as short and pudgy, and he purposely never smiles or laughs. He is self-righteous and, in my opinion, emotionally abuses Georgie.

The writing was fine, but the character development left something to be desired. Georgie changed a bit for the better, but I don’t think Neal did any changing or growing up, which was disappointing. I don’t really understand what Rowell wanted her audience to get from this book, but what I got was that we should put everything aside for our relationships (which I agree with), even when the person we are in a relationship wouldn’t do the same for us (which I don’t agree with).

This is the first Rainbow Rowell book that I’ve read, but from a negative review of her book, Attachments, I am wondering if this is a theme that she has in a lot of her books. I just didn’t like the way she portrayed Georgie’s and Neal’s relationship, and I’m not sure I’d feel any different with any of her other books.

“It’s more like you meet someone, and you fall in love, and you hope that that person is the one—and then at some point, you have to put down your chips. You just have to make a commitment and hope that you’re right.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Landline.

November 7, 2016 – Shelved