Debbie Phillips's Reviews > The Work: My Search for a Life That Matters

The Work by Wes  Moore

it was ok
bookshelves: read-aloud-to-my-husband, read-for-library-book-club, biography, non-fiction
Recommended to Debbie by: Garfield Park Book Club Member
Recommended for: No one

I did not like this book. It was torture for me to read each chapter. I was reading it aloud to my husband for our library book club. I wanted to quit. My hubby convinced me to persevere. I hate to quit once I start reading a book so we read on. The final chapters were a little better than the beginning, but not much. One of the ladies in the book club did improve our view of the book slightly by her comments, but only slightly. I would not recommend this book to anyone I know.

It held little relevance for my life. No life lessons. Nothing to lift me up. There were a couple nuggets that I identified with. Things that I related to. Unfortunately they were also things that made me sad because I related to them from the trials we have had in our own lives. Like this passage...
“Walking back to my desk, imagining the conversations Ramon was going to have with his family later that night, I said a prayer for him and a prayer of gratitude for myself. Tonight was not the night that I would have to go home and tell my wife that I no longer had a job.” [pg 148-149]

Many, many times my husband has had to come home and have that conversation with his family. I cried ever time. I could so relate to Ramon and his family. It made me cry, again.

And this one...
“There was a book that was published a generation ago–Fear of Falling by Barbara Ehrenreich. She talked about the fear that middle-class people lived with, fear that they'd lose their jobs, fear that they'd fall all the way to the bottom. That fear created conformity, spurred conservatism, and stifled creative thinking in fact, it stifled lives and killed dreams.” [pg 155]

Yes. We have been afraid. Yes, that probably did stifle our creative thinking and kill our dreams. I have had a lot of dreams killed over the years... and even more that just faded away to nothingness.

The last was this sad portion of a poem by Paul Laurence Dunbar called “We Wear the Mask”:
“We wear the mask that grins and lies
It hides our teeth and it shades our eyes
This dept we pay for human guile
With torn and bleeding hearts, we smile.” [pg 171]

Oh, how many times I have done this. I wear a mask many times, moments, days. I must. I cannot show my true thoughts and feelings.

This book did not help me find my life's work. It did not inspire me. I didn't like it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Work.

November 5, 2016 – Started Reading
November 7, 2016 – Shelved
November 7, 2016 –
page 65
23.9% "Reading this aloud to my hubby. This book is for our library book club. So far we are finding it boring and not relevant to us."
November 7, 2016 – Shelved as: read-aloud-to-my-husband