Jennifer's Reviews > Rise of Fire

Rise of Fire by Sophie Jordan

liked it
bookshelves: edelweiss, 2017-coyer-winter-challenge, 2017-series-ender-challenge

3.5/5 stars

This review will contain spoilers from book 1.

Rise of Fire is the final book in the Reign of Shadows duology. It is a YA fantasy series.

The book alternates narrators between Luna and Fowler. The first book left off with a massive cliffhanger. You must have read Reign of Shadows before reading this book.

For the most part I enjoyed this sequel. There is a lot of book one recapped in the first chapter (which I appreciate).

The basic premise of this series is that 17 years ago Luna's parents (the King and Queen) were murdered. And an eclipse cloaked their kingdom in darkness. There is a small amount of light each day called midlight. Everybody thought Luna was dead.

There are bad creatures called dwellers who hunt them, except during midlight.

At the end of the first book Fowler was taken by the dwellers. And we also learned who Fowler's father was.

Luna is blind. But oddly enough most people cannot tell (which I find extremely odd).

There are two kingdoms that are in play in Rise of Fire. Relhok, which is run by Fowler's tyrant father Cullan (Luna's parents were the King and Queen of this kingdom). And Lagonia, which is run by King Tebald. His two kids are a princess named Maris and a prince named Chasan.

I absolutely loved everything to do with Lagonia and found much of it to be quite interesting.

The book was easy to read and not overly complex.

Luna is the true heir to Relhok and this comes into play.

Even though Luna and Fowler are the main romance there is almost a double love triangle with other love interests for each of them.

I was very curious to see how the story would end. Towards the end there was still no resolution. There were very few chapters left and I did not really see how things would be able to wrap up sufficiently for a series ender.

I think the end was a bit rushed and I'm not sure that I totally believe that Luna would do what she did. But overall, it was a good ending.

Thanks to edelweiss and HarperTeen for allowing me to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of Fire.

November 7, 2016 – Shelved