Laura's Reviews > Little Monsters

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

31923026

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2017, crime-mystery-thriller

That was when I decided that all the ghost stories got it wrong: evil isn’t a spirit or a monster or a ghost. It lives inside regular people, and it doesn’t know the difference between night and day.

I have such a fascination with evil teenage girls - how dangerous it can be to be one, getting caught up in obsession, secrets, jealousy, and that deep desire to fit in. The realization of what being one can hold..how easy it can be to be underestimated. To learn how to get what you want. Manipulation. How complex and intense a friendship between teenage girls can be. Just what that can lead to. It can be a nasty thing being a teenage girl.

So of course Little Monsters intrigued the hell out of me. A psychological thriller about appearances versus reality and the power of manipulation amongst teenage girls? Yes, please. Just what the doctor ordered.

Seventeen year old Kacey is the new girl in small town Broken Falls. After a fight with her unstable mom, she's sent to live with the dad she's never met and his family: stepmom Ashley, stepbrother Andrew (17), and half-sister Lauren (13). Kacey leans heavily on her new friends: Bailey and Jade. She just wants to fit in and they do everything together. So when they don't invite her to the biggest party of the year, Kacey is super confused. Did she do something wrong? It only gets weirder when Kacey gets word that Bailey never made it home. Where could Bailey have gone? Does someone know more than they're letting on?
But the night doesn’t like to give up its secrets. And if Bailey disappeared into it, there might be no telling what happened to her.

In a small town like Broken Falls, everyone knows everyone. So it doesn't take long for suspicions to be pointed at the person they know least of all: Kacey. And she begins to realize trust isn't something that should just be given.

There are several red herrings throughout. I did eventually guess whodunnit, but not before having a few other solid suspects in mind. This one definitely had a few twists throughout. The small town setting is interesting and written really well. I enjoyed the local legend of the Red Woman tied with the "haunted" barn. It all truly adds to the atmosphere.
There’s only so much people are willing to forgive. That’s the truth that trumps everything else.

The display of friendship between teenage girls feels so accurate in how complicated it all can be. Obsession, jealousy, manipulation, and secrets all coming into play. I liked the different dynamics that emerge regarding the relationships Kacey had with each of her family members. The characters are believable. I just wish there had been more development there. It really would have made a world of difference. Kacey keeps hinting at this dark, mysterious past. This never gets fully explained. I, for one, was curious and thought it added to the mystery if we in fact got any answers. It just felt like her past was danced around at a certain point. The more I ponder on it, the more I wonder if I missed something? It is also worth noting that there is zero romance.

There were a few moments the story falls a bit on the slow side with nothing happening. I also would've liked a chapter from another POV. We get Kacey the entire book and a few chapters from Bailey through journal entries. But a POV showing the mystery play out would've been nice.

The way the story starts, it is hard to tell where it will go. After finishing, I want to go back and read it all again knowing what is to come. This was definitely a solid YA psychological thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Monsters.

November 7, 2016 – Shelved
July 18, 2017 – Started Reading
July 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Kathryn Great review! I loved Darkest Corners, so I'm eagerly awaiting this one. EXCITED!!!!

Laura Kathryn wrote: "Great review! I loved Darkest Corners, so I'm eagerly awaiting this one. EXCITED!!!!"

Thanks, Kathryn! You will love this one!! It gave me similar vibes to Darkest Corners. I look forward to reading your thoughts :)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Wonderful review Laura! = DD

Laura SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Wonderful review Laura! = DD"

Thank you so much, Sue!

message 5: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Agree with your points - I didn't like this as much as Darkest Corners, but I tsill enjoyed it!