Casey Frank's Reviews > Beautiful Broken Girls

Beautiful Broken Girls by Kim  Savage

it was ok

**SPOILERS**

When I finished this book I realized that I had no idea what it was really about.
For all the interesting and disturbing ideas that were introduced, I felt perplexed, searching for a takeaway, a lesson that may not exist.

Most of the characters in this book are "broken" to some degree, weighted down by physcial or emotional injuries, and they're talked about as though this had honed them into finer human beings.

I was willing to try and keep an open mind when it became apparent early on that we were dealing with some heavy manifestations of Christianity, despite not being Christian or having any personal interest in the history of saints. But for all that I tried to be open for where the author was taking me, I don't feel like I learned anything important, or that the characters did, other than trying to achieve sainthood and having an inappropriate crush at the same time is likely to have poor results, never mind that the result ended up being murder, followed by a double suicide born of guilt and fear for the kinds of lives the sisters would have day in and day out.

It feels like an examination of different aspects of mental health and how difficult it can be to get the kind of treatment one needs, mashed up with church dogma, and just enough mystery for you to think there's something to solve, when apparently there isn't.
I wish I knew what the author's 30 second pitch for this book is, because I feel like I'm missing something.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Broken Girls.

November 7, 2016 – Started Reading
November 7, 2016 – Shelved
November 8, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Rachel I just read it and I agree. I think to explore those issues better the book should have been written about the girls, period. Why was Ben even necessary?