Barbara's Reviews > Lift and Separate

Lift and Separate by Marilyn Simon Rothstein

it was ok
bookshelves: domestic-drama, fiction

Mostly I love Goodreads for encouraging me to read more and to leave short reviews. The downside to Goodreads is that once I've said I'm 'reading' something, it's more trouble to work out how to change the settings to show I've abandoned a book than to just shut up and get on with it.

It was a moment of idiocy that led me to buy (admittedly for only 99p on Kindle) a book that was so clearly not going to be for me. I LOATHE chick-lit and making the chick no spring chicken still can't hide the fact that it's hard work to plough through such nonsense. I thought I might find it an OK read for a long flight but I didn't. I didn't care about Marcy or her husband or any of her children - especially the one who was having an affair. I mildly liked her friends Candy and Dana but I didn't CARE about them either.

The story is just so weak - will her husband come back, is his affair over, will she want him back, will various elderly relatives of the protagonist and her friends die?.........arghhhhhh. Honestly, I just didn't care.

I stuck with it, I ploughed through to the end but I resented nearly every page.

As someone wiser and more succinct than me once wrote in a review "Most of the words were spelled correctly".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lift and Separate.

November 6, 2016 – Started Reading
November 6, 2016 – Shelved
November 13, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: domestic-drama
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Denise (new)

Denise Aitken the name is enough to put me off

Barbara I know, I know. I can only say I wasn't sleeping and bought it in the wee small hours of the morning. What WAS I thinking?

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise Aitken haha, I've bought a few 99p duds myself :)

message 4: by Alina (new)

Alina Borger Hey Barbara, you can make an "exclusive" shelf called DNF (did not finish), and shelve it there instead of "read." :)

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Patt I commend you for your honesty Barbara, and explanation! I received a 1 star review but no reason why. :( A debut novelist wants to know! Especially when it's a trilogy. How can I improve for the sequel. I responded to the 1 star reviewer very nicely asking her if she would divulge what she hated so I can improve. Honestly, I take constructive criticism very well. She never replied back. :( C'est La Vie!

Barbara Sarah wrote: "I commend you for your honesty Barbara, and explanation! I received a 1 star review but no reason why. :( A debut novelist wants to know! Especially when it's a trilogy. How can I improve for the s..."

Hi Sarah, I'm never sure if an author really wants to know - some can take it, some can't. I have a friend who nearly took her book out of print after a few harsh reviews, so I'm perhaps tending to be less harsh than I may have been in the past. Although that said, I do feel we can be more honest on Goodreads than on Amazon where you risk a slew of not helpful ratings if you dare to suggest every single book isn't worthy of 4 or 5 stars.
I would suggest that anybody who leaves a low rate and won't explain it is somebody you can ignore. You can't respond to an opinion that's not been given, can you?
As for how you can improve, I'd just caution against letting the negative feedback make you change your approach. If most people are positive (and not your friends and family) then don't let the few negatives impact you more than the many positives.
Good luck and thanks for your comment.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Patt Thank You Barbara. I have received 3, 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon. And some of the comments are too funny. One person wrote it's a "dope" book and considering my teenaged daughter spread the word about her mom's book I feel safe to assume it's a teen reviewer! A dope teen of course! ;)
Stay well,