William M.'s Reviews > Apeshit

Apeshit by Carlton Mellick III

Jun 29, 2011

bookshelves: horror, bizarro

4 AND 1/2 STARS.

After reading this book, it took me less than one minute to go online and order more titles from this author. He's that good. I've heard his name mentioned as one of the better writers of the new Bizarro genre, but I don't think that does him justice. Forget whether you like Bizarro or not, or even if you know that heck that is. Mellick is a great writer. Period. His prose is simple and direct, always cutting through the fat to get to the meat... and I mean the juicy meat. This book had a few typos, felt too short, and had an ending that was wrapped up a little too quickly, but it was still the most fun I've had reading all year.

I do hope that Mellick will continue to write in the horror genre and although this book is considered Bizarro, I think it could fit in perfectly in the horror genre without that confusing label. Take the storyline of a Richard Laymon book, add in the depraved sex of Edward Lee, the darkness of Greg F. Gifune, the gore factor of Wrath James White, the strange reality of Tim Waggoner, and the complicated characters and spontaneous violence of Tom Piccirilli, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're in for. A must read for fans of extreme horror.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apeshit.