Candy's Reviews > At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream: Misadventures in Search of the Simple Life

At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream by Wade Rouse

Jun 28, 2011

A friend bought me this book shortly after I had a surgery. It was the perfect book because I needed a laugh (or 300).

Ya know, there's just something about a humorous gay dude that can freaking write. The author is amazingly funny. This book actually reminded me of another book I read earlier this year, The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers. It's the same basic idea, a long time gay couple decide to get away from the city and move to the middle of nowhere. Only, Wade moved to the middle of nowhere and is obviously insane. Dude, the snow alone would send me screaming back home. Nevermind the freaky neighbor.

The writing itself is absolutely perfect. There was nothing in there that made me cringe. He's very self-depreciating and very gay - I'm not just saying that, HE told me that in the book - repeatedly (which might be a little over the top to be honest). Having said that, his gayness makes the book. Without him sashaying outside dressed in $400 worth of clothes simply to take the trash out and getting attacked by a raccoon... yeah. His stories are only accentuated by the fact that he doesn't mind the rest of thinking he's a real big idiot.

This will most definitely NOT be my last book by this author. I'm trying to figure out which of his I want to read next. It also left me wanting to invite this guy over for dinner one night. Not because he was funny (well, not only because of that) but because he also shows that he has quite a big heart. At the end of the day, the heart is what needs to show through and despite his best attempts to cover it up, we find out that Wade is one heck of a guy. Gary is one lucky man.

This goes on my must read list for the year. I seriously laughed out loud so much that I was really glad I had pain meds to blunt the stitches pulling from the rolling.

I recommend this for just about everyone. It's damn funny and we all could use a good laugh now and then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream.